《Nerdy Red Pt. 5》

/Strange Magic/

《RYLAN》

~~

One thing my dad has taught me, is that life is constantly flowing. Like a river, life being the current. It doesn't matter if you're ready or not, you gotta reach out and grab a branch. Then, hold onto it for dear life and try to stay afloat.

But there's always going to be something unexpected, something that pops up out of the blue. Like a rock, or debris. You either have to swerve and miss, or take the hit.

A lot of the time I just take the hit. But I learned that from my dad too, always be strong.

My dad wasn't an emotional man, he could never show sympathy well. But when it came to me feeling upset, he would be there to try and fix it. Even though most of them time the problem couldn't be fixed.

He's tried to get me to talk about Sky, but I feel like it would just make it worse.

"I'm just going to try and Skype her again," I tell him as he passes me a steaming cup of hot coffee.

He pats my shoulder, "I hope she answers this time."

I start walking up our winding steps. "Me too."

She doesn't, and somehow I'm not suprised. I just text her instead, hoping that she might text back later.

~

Yearbook class is the only class that could last forever, and I'd be okay with. But it's the only class that goes too fast, and all the others seem like they go on forever.

Today, we are voting for the people that will be on the yearbook committee. I'm so nervous, I feel like I might actually pass out.

"Nerdy Red, are you okay?"

I look at Parker and instead of answering him I ask myself a question. Why has Parker Scott been so concerned about me lately?

"Having you been using strange magic?" I ask in a half whipser. Um, why did you ask that Rylan?

His eyebrow pull together in confusion, "what?"

"Have you been drinking potion?" I ask, and he chuckles.

"Are you drunk?" He asks.

"On nerves," I reply and earn myself another chuckle.

"Chill, Nerdy Red. You're going to get it, I promise."

I glance at him, "I'm not just nervous about not getting it. I'm nervous about getting it too."

"You worry too much." Parker states.

I look back to the whiteboard, I read the list of candidates. The only person I'm super worried about is Zoey. "How can you be so confident that I got this?" I ask him.

He gives me a soft smirk, "because I believe in you."

With all my nerves jumping around inside of me, I feel like I can't control what comes out of my mouth. "Are you drunk?"

He laughs, "no."

I end up smiling too.

We all get little slips of paper so we can write down who we want for president. I don't put my own name down, mostly because I don't think it's right.

So I put the other girl that's running for president, but definitely not Zoey.

Mr. Anderson gathers all the slips into his best teacher ever mug, so he can count them later.

"Okay class, our first project is coming up. I'm going to hand out all the directions and then you and your yearbook partners can decide which events you want."

I can't wipe the smile off my face, I can see Parker looking at me from the corner of my eyes. He's smiling too...

Mr. Anderson hands us the directions as well as a list of events we will be able to choose from.

"Seniors get to pick first," Mr. Anderson says and some students groan. "We'll start up here with Zoey and Katie."

I scan the list of events, my eyes spot the choir concert, and the art gallery. I know immediately that's the events I want to attend.

Parkers looking over my shoulder at the list, I point to the two and he gives me a nod.

"Mr. Anderson, we'll take the first basketball game and the choir concert." Zoey recites in her high pitched voice.

I roll my eyes, Parker points at the football game. I'm about to shake my head but Mr. Anderson calls on us.

I never do the talking, Parker does.

"Sir, we'll take the first football game and the art gallery."

"Perfect," he says as he writes our names then our events on the whiteboard.

I look at Parker shocked. I sigh, which gets his attention. "What?" He says.

I shake my head, I'll just have to deal with it. Even though I hate sports, I hate football most of all.

"Oh, come on. Nerdy Red it'll be fun."

"How is sports fun?" I whisper.

"Well you might not like sports, but you'll be with me." He nudges me, and gives me his signature jackass smirk. He's so cocky.

I guess as long as I'm taking pictures, I'll be fine.

/^/^/^/

Word count: 835

Date published: 6/9/16

/^/^/^/