《Nerdy Red Pt. 30》

/Not letting down/

~~

After things settled with Parker's mom, Amy, things seemed almost too calm. Parker and I spent most afternoons together at his house or mine. My mom and dad were seeming to get along great, and Parker's dad was nowhere to be found. Everything was... okay.

Or at least it seemed okay. Today we were getting our next yearbook committee project. I rack my brain for what event was next but I couldn't remember. We did homecoming, after was usually the holiday ball. Usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Mr. Anderson enters the class and sits down in his chair everyone was quiet today like they too were waiting on the next project. But I knew for a fact that wasn't the case. There was only two people waiting for the project and the was me and Zoey.

I look across to the front of the class where Zoey sits and she's smirking creepily towards me, probably plotting her next attack.

"Today we discuss the yearbook committees next project," Mr. Anderson starts. Zoey immediately raises her hand straight up into the air and I cannot roll my eyes enough times.

"Yes, Zoey?" Mr. Anderson asks. I can tell he's trying very hard to contain his annoyance with her.

"I would like to propose a new project. I know the next one is supposed to be the holiday ball. But what if we do an event for Halloween this year."

"I like the idea," he says. "But there's only a few weeks to prepare."

"I know which is why we should just do a party, and it can be at my house." She kindly offers, note my sarcasm.

"A costume party!" Mr. Anderson exclaims. He turns in my direction. "But how does the president feel about this?" Then as expected all eyes are on me, but I focus on Parker beside me. He knows he can't tell me what I should do, but he gives me an encouraging look. I know what I have to say.

"It sounds great!" I say trying not to sound sarcastic.

"Awesome!" Mr. Anderson says excitedly. "A Halloween party it is!"

Parker's hand finds mine under the table and gives it an encouraging squeeze.

God, what did I agree too?

~~

A couple of days later I get a text from Parker asking me if I want to go on a double date with Jessica and Brad like they had planned a week ago. I agree because it would be rude if I didn't.

My mom enters my room, and I almost sigh at what could possible be next. "Hey Darling."

"Hey mom," I smile at her as I get ready. Brushing my hair back into a half ponytail.

"What are you two young lovers up to tonight?" 

"Mom, cringe."

"What too cheesy?"

"You say too cheesy is cheesy."

"Seriously, Rylan? A mom can't know what her young daughter is up to?"

"Parker are going on a double date with some of his friends."

"Oooo," She coos, which makes me extremely uncomfortable.

"It's not that big of a deal."

"If you say so," She agrees. "How is yearbook class going?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Because I know how much you want to get a scholarship to a photography school."

"It's going okay," I lie because I'd rather not talk about it at all.

"That's good." Just as she says that the doorbell rings signaling Parker's come to rescue me.

"That must be Parker." I say and leave my room and my mom follows me. 

"I hope you have fun, Rylan." She touches my shoulder and I stop. "I know how much you overthink things like this. Just try to have fun."

"Gee, thanks mom. Great advice I've never thought about. If only I could just have fun."

"I didn't mean it like that."

"I know," I interrupt her. "I'm just nervous. You're right I should try and let go a little more."

"Well not too much. Don't get sidetracked from school."

I laugh, "of course not."

My mom hugs me and beckons me to go downstairs to Parker.

We get in his car fifteen minutes later because my dad wouldn't stop talking to Parker about his future plans. I'm one hundred percent sure Parker just fed him a line of bull shit. And I don't care one bit.

"We should of left earlier," I say to Parker. "My dad could talk to you until your on your deathbed, literally."

"That's probably the way he wants it," Parker says and he's not wrong.

"He likes you." I say quietly. "You're just the first serious relationship I've ever had, and they secretly know." Parker smiles at me.

"I know." He reaches over the middle console and holds my hand. "They just love you."

"Where are we going tonight?" I ask out of curiosity.

"I guess we are going to a movie. Then out to dinner somewhere."

"Cool."

Parker looks at me for a few seconds then back to the road. "You know that this will be fun right? Just be yourself."

"I will try. I just feel like I don't fit in."

"The fact that you don't fit in is what I love about you, Rylan."

"What about this stupid party I'm supposed to help throw? I have no idea what to do or expect. Fitting in would be good for that, then maybe Zoey wouldn't hate me so much."

"Zoey is just jealous of you Ry. You have everything she's ever wanted."

Including you, I think to myself.

"The party will come together okay, I'll be there every step of the way. What kind of  yearbook partner would I be if I wasn't?"

"Not a very good one." I laugh.

"I just can't believe Mr. Anderson agreed to a party. What kind of teacher agrees on a party for teenagers? Where he knows damn well there's going to be some kind of alcohol involved."

"True." I agree. "He's just not a normal teacher."