《Nerdy Red Pt. 11》

/More to Life/

《RYLAN》

~~

Yearbook class starts with Mr. Anderson reading off the people elected onto the committee.

He gets to the president, and this time a few weeks ago. I would have been holding onto the edge of my seat. But today, it's seems unimportant.

He calls out my name, I look up to see every pair of eyes on me. "I don't want it." I say. "I've changed my mind."

Mr. Anderson looks suprised then it passes a moment later. "Are you sure?"

I nod, and Parker nudges me. "What are you doing?" He whispers.

"I just don't want it anymore." I look down.

"Wait, Mr. Anderson." Parker says. "Just give her a day to think about it, please."

Mr. Anderson looks between us, "okay. Only a week, then we've got a lot to get started on a ton." Mr. Anderson starts passing out papers.

"Why did you do that?" I whisper to him.

"Because, you're going to regret it."

"No, I'm not. I don't want to do it anymore. There's more important things going on."

"Things you'll deal with by going home, and moping around about?"

I glare at him, "I just need time."

We work the rest of the class, arranging our photos from the art gallery onto a board.

The bell rings and Parker follows behind me. He grabs my hand and it snaps something in me.

"Parker!" I shout, and yank my hand away. "Why do you keep doing that?"

He looks startled at first, "what?"

"We're not together, okay? Stop doing whatever your doing." I walk past him.

"Rylan. Come on, what about the other night?"

"I was tired, actually exhausted. I was hurt, and you were comforting me. I was delirious."

"Were not," Parker says.

"I was, I still am. I just need to get away."

He grabs my wrist, and spins me around. For a second, I think he's going to kiss me.

I'm a fool. He was never going to kiss me, not even the other night.

"We need to finish our presentation," he switches subjects swiftly. "We'll finish at my house, is tonight okay?"

I hesitate, we do have to finish. "Okay, I'll see you tonight."

He nods, and lets go of my wrist.

Mr. Anderson walks past us in the hallway. He stops when he sees me.

"Parker, may I have a word with Rylan?"

Parker looks at me, he nods and steps away.

"Rylan, you know that scholarship you applied for?"

I nod, "yes."

"Well, it's looking promising. But I'm not going to lie, that place as president of the yearbook committee would be great."

I sigh, "I know. But things are... unsure in my life right now. I just don't think adding something else stressful to the mix would be good."

He nods, "I understand. But just remember it could pay to be part of this stressful role." He smiles.

I nod again, "thanks."

"No problem."

I stand there after he walks away. Thinking about what my future might bring.

/^/^/^/

Word vount: 510

Date published: 6/16/16

/^/^/^/