《Nerdy Red Pt. 13》

/No Flash Photography/

《RYLAN》

~~

Ever since my parents told me about the divorce, they haven't been around much. My mom worked late, and my dad hung around the station with his buddies. I almost started to believe they had forgotten about me.

Except they would leave me post-it notes on the refrigerator. They usually said things like; have a nice night. -mom. Or, Don't forget to eat. -Dad.

I figured they would come back around eventually, hopefully.

~~

Parker picked me up just like he said he would.

I stood outside as his car pulled up to the curb. The air was chilly, so I made sure to dress appropriately. Gray beanie, and a scarf.

I opened the door, and climbed into the passenger side. I couldn't help but notice how nice Parker looked. A blue and red plaid button up, and dark jeans.

His cologne filled the car with a spice.

I clung to my camera strapped around my neck.

"Hey, Nerdy Red. How are you?"

"Fine," except I wasn't. I was really nervous.

"Really, because you look nervous?"

Erg, why can he read me like a book.

"Is this your first party? It obviously is."

"How can you tell!"

"Well first off, you told me the other day that parties aren't your thing. Plus, you're not dressed appropriately for a party."

I immediately looked down at what I was wearing. "What's wrong with jeans and a sweater?"

"Well, it's just not typical party attire."

"Well I'm not typical." I glared at him.

He smirked, "no. You are not."

My heart dropped, what is that supposed to mean?

We pulled into Brads driveway, the place was already bursting at the seams. The cite made me even more nervous.

Parker leads me to Brad. I know of Brad, everyone knows of Brad, just like everyone knows of Parker. They're in the spotlight.

But I've never met him.

The first thing he did was grab ahold of my hand, and shook it up and down. "Hey, you must be Rylan."

He knows my name, my actually name. That must have been Parkers doing.

"Yep, that's me." I said as cheerful as possible.

"Great, here's your 200 dollars." He stuck it in my open palm. "Now, I just want you to travel around. Downstairs, and outside. Upstairs too, just stay out of the bedrooms, for reasons you can probably guess."

I cringed at that, Parker laughed.

Then I nodded in agreement, Brad then turned away. He had a house full of people to entertain. I turned around to say something to Parker and he was gone.

My stomach flipped, but I pushed it aside. I'll take the pictures, find Parker and get outta here.

First I took pictures downstairs inside the house. People gave me strange looks, but I ignored them the best I could. As soon as I had enough of the people downstairs, drunk, and grinding on each other. I made my way upstairs, there were only a few crowds up there. Most of which gave me dirty looks, saying get away.

I was on my way outside when I crashed into Zoey. She immediately gave me a glare.

"Watch out, freak." Her voice high pitched as ever.

Without thinking I responded with, "look who's talking."

She gasped, "excuse me?"

My cheeks turned a deep shade of red. "Um."

"That's what I thought, now get out of my way bitch. What are you even doing here? Chasing Parker around like a little puppy again? Don't you know it's driving him crazy?"

I step back like she shot me. "What?"

"He only acts like he likes you, Ryan."

"Rylan," I corrected.

"Whatever, same difference. They're both guy names, right?" With that she stomps off.

Something in me snaps again. Maybe it's because I actually did like Parker a little. Maybe, I don't know.

But with everything else that's been going on, it seems like too much to handle.

I place the 200 dollars under a mug in Brads kitchen. Then plan my escape route, which only includes avoiding Parker.

Once I'm out of the house, tears fall freely from my red cheeks. I rush past crowds of people, laughing, and talking.

Suddenly, someone tugs on my shoulder, sending me backwards. Parker then grabs my hand and weaves us out of the crowds.

I try wiping tears from my cheeks, but they're falling too fast for it to make any difference.

"What's wrong?" He asks with deep concern. No, fake deep concern.

I free myself from his grasp. "Do you tell people your annoyed with me?"

His eyebrows pull together in confusion. "What?

"You heard me, do you tell people that I'm like a little puppy following you around. That you never really liked me in the first place?"

"Rylan, what are you talking about? I've never said any of those things."

"Oh, really?" I wipe my eyes with the sleeve of my sweater. "Because that's not what Zoey said."

He pulls back, realization spreads across his face. "Zoey?"

I nod.

"Rylan, she's out to get me. I swear. She used to have a thing for me, and I turned her down. I've been telling my friends that I... I like you, and she's been giving me a hard time about it. She just made that stuff up." He reaches for me, and wipes a few tears away with his thumb

This time, I'm the one that backs away.

He sees that I still don't believe him, he reaches for me again. "Rylan, please believe me." He embraces me and I feel myself melt in his grasp.

"I'm an ugly crier." I whisper, instead of telling him I believe him. He laughs a little.

"Rylan, crying isn't meant to be graceful. But you're the most graceful crier I have ever seen." He whispers in my ear, and I feel myself blush.

Nervously, I reach up and wrap my arms around his neck. Hugging him back.

He laughs nervously, "You know something else?"

"Huh?"

"You might not be dressed in party attire. But you're the most beautiful person here."

/^/^/^/

Word count: 1023

Date published: 6/23/16

/^/^/^/