38

~MOUSE~

The aroma of sweet oats filled the cramped kitchen, swirling in the air like a comforting embrace.

Ophelia's delicate nostrils twitched as the scent wafted up, a welcome distraction from her less-than-appetizing culinary creation.

She wrinkled her nose, casting a sceptical glance at the pot of sludgy oatmeal on the stove.

Cooking, it seemed, was the one skill that eluded her amidst a sea of talents.

She knew eight languages and killed ruthlessly, but couldn't cook oats.

It seemed almost unfair.

A soft chuckle resonated beside her and Ophelia turned to find Zero peering over her shoulder, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"You're worse than me," he teased, smoothly sidestepping her to reach for the coffee.

Ophelia rolled her eyes, her gaze lingering on the questionable contents of the pot.

Perhaps he had a point.

But at least hers wasn't on fire.

In the room, their eclectic team sat in seemingly casual positions, sipping coffee and engaging in light-hearted banter.

To an outsider, they could easily be mistaken for ordinary people, not highly trained operatives.

Ophelia observed them with a small smile.

They were growing on her.

Just like she was on them.

Zero's voice interrupted her contemplation, pulling her attention back to the present.

"Who you cookin' for?" he inquired while pouring coffee into his mug.

Ophelia winced at the question, her eyes still fixated on the unappetizing sludge in the pot.

Zero caught her discomfort and grinned knowingly.

"Roommate still not warmed up to you yet?" he asked, setting the coffee on the counter.

Ophelia's gaze remained fixed on the pot, her mind drifting to König.

Oh, he'd warmed up to her alright.

He didn't seem to want to take his hands off her.

And that's what worried her.

She'd never had something that felt so serious.

She, who had always been confident and sure, now found herself stumbling in unfamiliar territory.

Sighing, Zero patted her shoulder gently.

"Don't worry about it, kid. He's got issues. Doesn't ever eat with us anyway." His words offered a modicum of reassurance, but Ophelia couldn't shake off the unease that lingered.

"Never?" she blurted out, surprised by the revelation.

Zero nodded, his hand absentmindedly smoothing over his short beard.

"Never even seen his face," he admitted, turning away to navigate toward the tables.

Ophelia's eyes widened, her mouth hanging open in disbelief.

As Zero walked away, Ophelia's thoughts lingered on König, her mind involuntarily replaying the vivid memories she held of him.

His strong face, his open expressions, his vulnerability.