Investigating and Seeing the Past

Wednesday woke up to Enid already up and dressed for the day. When she turned to face Wednesday she was grinning and said "Good morning sunshine!"

"Call me sunshine again and you'll be sleeping on the balcony."

Enid's happiness was not deterred by Wednesday's morning grumpiness.

"You wouldn't do that to me" Enid said.

"Whatever."

"Don't forget we have a geometry test today, it's sad we don't have any classes together. I could really use that group study time with you."

"Enid, we live in the same room. I can study with you here."

She frowned and said, "But I'd rather keep school stuff out of our alone time."

Wednesday rubbed her eyes and took out her braids to run her fingers through them.

"I'll never get over that" Enid said.

"My hair?"

"You should wear it without braids today, it's so pretty when it's down!"

She huffed in response and deadpanned Enid. "If that's what you wish, I'll do it for today and today only."

——————————————————————————

Even teachers gawked at Wednesday's choice of hairstyle that day, seeing her like that made her seem more feminine. Her stark black hair shined against the lights and hung heavily across her chest. No one really thought about her without her notorious braids.

"Yo Addams! Got tired of looking so stuck up?" A gorgon said down the hallway during the passing period.

She ignored him and a moment later a second boy said, "My name is Brandon, I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime?"

"I'd advise asking me such stupid questions" she answered. "Or a certain someone is going to be very upset that someone is trying to take their girl."

At that exact moment, Enid crept up behind Wednesday with a smile and said, "Sharp as ever this girl is!"

"Just when I thought you couldn't become any more magnificent." Billie swooped in from around the corner and placed her chin on Wednesday's shoulder, looking straight at the boy who asked Wednesday out.

Enid grunted and crossed her arms. Everyone in the hallways parted to the side so Billie could escort Wednesday to her next class.

"What are you even doing here?" Enid asked her.

"I have some business to discuss with Wednesday, do you two have class together?"

With a pout, Enid said no.

"Then I'd like to steal her away for a moment and talk with her alone if that's alright."

Without waiting for permission, which Enid wouldn't have a right to, Billie pulled Wednesday into the bathroom which was incredibly pristine and well cared for.

"So what is it?" Wednesday asked while Billie leaned against the sink.

"A clue. I was out with the sheriff last night after a murder in a nearby town and there were two pairs of footsteps leading away from the crime scene. So there's another person in on this business."

Getting excited Wednesday took a step closer to her and said, "Fantastic. Men's shoes?"

"Yep. Only problem is the footsteps disappeared into a stream and there were none on the other side. Very strange business."