The Talk

Maddie had been hanging out a lot more with Enid and her friends, and in the next few weeks, Wednesday and Enid had not established any sort of relationship. They didn't kiss again, just a more giggly wolf and a physically affectionate raven.

Things seemed to be going well. There were no more murders and Billie had returned to her place a few states away with the council.

The only issue was she didn't say goodbye to Wednesday and it left her torn apart. She felt she had done something wrong and maybe she had driven her away.

The night that she left there was a full moon and all the werewolves were out in the woods wolfing out, all but Enid.

Enid could sense something was wrong in the way Wednesday held her. Her arm clutched her tighter than usual and her face was buried into Enid's back.

"You seem more clingy tonight, is something wrong?" She finally asked.

Wednesday interlocked her fingers with Enid's and felt a heaviness in her chest.

"Wednesday I'm serious."

She didn't know why it felt so hard to speak. She wasn't even sure why it hurt her so badly that Billie left without a word.

"I don't want to talk about it" she muffled.

Enid let out a long sigh and rubbed her thumb against Wednesday's hand. "We're going to talk about this whether you like it or not."

Wednesday didn't know whether she should hold her even tighter or let her go. She was being so soft toward her and she knew it would destroy her to hear that she was upset over Billie.

"She didn't say goodbye" she softly said.

"Billie?" Enid's voice was tight. 

"Yes, Billie."

Enid tried to be supportive. "I'm sure she was busy with important things."

"I was important to her though, we spent time together and she saw no one else."

"Now you know how I feel" Enid said.

"Enid this is different. She said she liked me and she even gave me a rose I'd never seen before."

Enid shot up and ripped herself from Wednesday's grasp. "She what?"

Doomed.

"Look I want to explain the situation calmly. You and I never established anything official and I was trying to work out how I felt about her and now that she's gone I'm realizing it hurts more than I'd like it to."

"Why the fuck didn't you tell me you had feelings for her?"

"I didn't want to upset you and jeopardize what we have."

"So what, you were going to act like you have feelings for me and have feelings for her at the same time and be a cheater basically?" Enid's voice rose enough that their neighboring dorms could definitely hear the commotion.

"Well no-"

"Did you two kiss?"

Wednesday felt the fear creep on her and was too stunned to form the right answer.

"ANSWER ME."

"No, well we almost did but she didn't do it" Wednesday rushed her words out.

"You wanted her to."

"Well... yes. But it's because it was exciting and new-"

"And you're bored of me. I'm just Enid, right? The stupid pathetic girl that's only loved when she can function like a normal werewolf."

"That's not what I was saying, I merely meant you're safe."

"An easy shot?"

"No-"

"Shut up Wednesday."

Her words sliced right through Wednesday and all the built-up emotions were finally pouring down on her and out into tears.

"Enid please" she choked out.

"SHUT UP."

Enid paced around the room and saw Wednesday's typewriter out on the table, and within one second it was smashed on the floor and broken.

"Enid stop!"

"You want a proper farewell? Goodbye Wednesday. Fuck you."

Enid ran out of the door and slammed it and everyone ran out of their rooms to see what all the commotion was about. Wednesday followed Enid down the hallway, running, and yelling her name.

"Leave me alone!" Enid yelled and stopped halfway down the stairs. Wednesday watched the scene from afar and gasped at the sight.

In all of her rage, Enid growled and hugged out a series of short breaths before turning into a wolf in a fully lit room. Wednesday couldn't see it before in the first semester during the fight with Tyler. It was too dark.

But there she was. Light tan fur and glimmering yellow eyes. Staring at everyone in the hallway then howling and dashing out of the school.

"The Golden Wolf" she whispered.