Chapter 3

Rhys

You know when you're so incredibly hard that you almost take matters into your own hands?

Well, I don't.

Because there's only one pair of hands I want on me and she just walked away, not bothering to look back at me and my hard on.

And I let her.

I fucking let her.

Watching her strut away from me in that fucking tiny black dress almost had me on my knees ready to crawl to her and beg to her like the fucking goddess she is.

She's my god.

I blink rapidly to try and get her ass out of my head but it's hard when I know I should have followed that ass out the door.

God damn, she's tall.

I sit at a nice 6,3. Not super tall but tall enough I look like I mean business.

But damn, Maeve's got to be at least 5,10 now.

She's always been super tall, even when we were young and still pissing in our pants but god did I ever want to run my hands down that curvy body of hers.

What scares me the most though is how dead she looks.

Her olive eyes are gone. Like they were beat out of her and replaced by the dead black ones that now match her silky hair.

And her tan flawless skin?

Gone. She so fucking pale.

Like she hasn't slept in months.

Like it hasn't even crossed her mind. Like she has bigger problems than fucking sleeping.

I would have her worn out in no time-

A hand slams down on my shoulder, followed by a chuckle I know far too well.

"I love that chick already. She punched you in the face and kicked you to the ground all while holding a fucking beer in her hand."

Mike hollers again, no doubt something I'll hear about later when we're back at our apartment.

"Fuck off, will ya?" I shrug his hand off my shoulder.

He slaps my ass in response.

I huff. "Pervert."

Mike grins. "You love it."

Grabbing yet another beer from Shaw, I plop myself down in one of the chairs at Capt's table, grinning when he glares at me.

"Rhys! I haven't seen you since the game against Edmonton. How are you?"

At least someone cares about me.

"Good. How's gym been for you?"

Allie lights up like always when you ask her, excited about getting ready for her third Olympics.

I got to say, when I learned that Noah's girlfriend did gymnastics, I laughed.

But about a week later when I learned that she trains more hours than we do and does more games and dry land than us, I almost shit my pants.

Think twenty five hours of training is a lot?

Try thirty one plus four hours dry land.

I almost cried for her.

"What's up with you and Maeve? I'm almost jealous at how much sexual tension was coming off the two of you."

Kyla taps her nails on the table, a knowing smile stuck on her smug face.

I place my elbows on the table, my hands holding my head while I fake an upset sigh.

"Well, it all started back in the warm, windy summer of 1999 when we were all still shitting in diapers and sucking our thumbs..."

I drift off, pretending to look deep in thought before Seth throws a handful of fries at my face.

"Oh, cut the crap. Maeve looked furious. You looked like a cat with its tail between your legs."

I roll my eyes, waving my hand through the air to cut him off.

"This all sounds too political. When did going out for beers have to be so difficult?"

I pout, giving Seth my best puppy eyes.

Noah smacks the back of my head.

"What the hell were you still doing in diapers at five years old? Couldn't figure out how to work it yet?"

"Oh please. I can't be the only one who hadn't figured out the fifth limb yet."

Allie pats my shoulder, amusement dancing around on her face.

"It's okay. We've all been there."

I narrow my eyes. "When you were five, you were probably doing quad twists off the fucking floor."

Allie snorts before yawning, cuddling deeper into Noah, who gives her a smile and kisses the top of her head.

I snap my fingers at him. "Capt smiled! Someone jot it down!"

Cam whips out his phone, tallying it on our smile tracker we keep of Noah.

"When are you going to smile at me like that, Capt?"

Mike feighs sadness, earning him a signature fuck off from Noah.

"You have such a way with words. It makes me all gooey inside." I pat my belly, jutting it out so hard it hits the table.

"He really does. Like Romeo if he was old and grumpy."

Allie adds, making me snort as I watch Noah roll his eyes and stand, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"Just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to support Shaw's twentieth year of business."

Noah announces, earning most of the attention of the bar considering he's the biggest dude in here.

Even people from other groups startle at his sudden announcement.

The team rallies, slamming their fists on the bar and going to slap Shaw on the back.

Old lil fucker.

"I'm taking Allie home now but I'll see you all at practice tomorrow." Noah nods before turning to his girl who sits tiredly in the chair beside me.

Before he can grab her, I lean over and whisper,

"Would you happen to know where a certain tall, 'doesn't give a shit' black haired girl lives?"

Allie snorts. "Find her yourself Beckett."

She must see the way my face falls silently because she sighs and says,

"She manages that coffee shop, Waves. You didn't hear this from me though."

She gives me a pointed look, shoving her finger in my face before Noah comes over and helps Allie up, wrapping his arm around her waist and guiding her through the group of hockey players.

Bleh.

We're all used to it. The displays of affection that come from our captain but that's his way of showing Allie he loves her.

Allie turns in his hold so she can wave at us over Noah's shoulder, which we all return with smile and a wave of our own.

We weren't kidding when we told Noah that she's become family.

There's no point in hiding how much we all like that girl, not in a romantic, mushy gushy way but for me, she's become one of my best friends, much to Noah's disliking.

Which makes it so much better.

I watch Allie smack Noah on the back of his head after he says something, throwing his head back and laughing.

"Cam! Mark it down! Noah laughed!"

Now I have a star to search for.