Chapter 7

Rhys- age 15

I glance around the school courtyard, trying to find my girl but she's nowhere in sight.

I frown, ignoring my hockey group as they try to convince me to come play with them.

"Later. I need to find Maeve."

They nod in understanding, knowing she'll always come before them and hockey.

Making my way to the front of the school, I finally see Nova sitting against a pillar, her face in her hands, her shoulders slumped.

I haven't seen her all day, her mom wanting to drive her to school since it was her day off.

Usually we walk together but today I had to walk all by myself.

I wanted to cry.

"Maeve-what the fuck?"

I jolt back when I see her eye is all black and bruised, so swollen it's actually squeezed shut.

She waves her hand out in front of her like it's nothing.

"Who the fuck touched you?"

She snorts like we're joking.

I'm sure as shit not.

She shrugs. "It's nothing. I ran into a door as it was opening."

My eyes narrow and my nostrils flare because I've been playing hockey since I could walk and I've been thrown against the boards, punched in the face. Even cut my face open when I got a skate to my chin but never once have I ever gotten a black eye like that.

"You're lying." I snap.

She sighs, exhaustion dripping off of her.

"Not today, Rhys."

Fuck that.

"No. You're going to tell me why every time I see you, you've "accidentally" run into a door. Or tripped over some stairs. Or burned yourself cooking in the shape of a cigarette and somehow always have dozens of bruises on you."

She drags her eyes up to mine slowly and painfully, her olive eyes looking dim.

I want to shake all the answers out of her. I want her to fight those stupid demons in her head telling her that this is okay.

It's not.

She blows out a shaky breath, taking my hand that's fisted by my side and pulling me onto the ground beside her.

"Could-just hold me. Please?" Her voice breaks like she's about to cry and I freeze.

I pull her into me, my arms immediately finding my way around her waist as she buries her head into my neck, her favourite spot since we were five.

I tighten my hold on her, kissing the top of her head.

"I love you, Maeve."

I can practically feel her smile against me.

"I love you too, Rhys."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhys - present

"Please, let me walk you home. I won't even talk. I can walk ten feet behind you if you want. You wont even know I'm here."

God, I sound so desperate.