Chapter 23

Rhys

"They're too slow on shooting the puck. They hold it for four, maybe five seconds before they shoot so Mike-use that to your advantage and set yourself up properly so you can keep deflecting their pucks."

Noah tells Mike before we take off after the puck, watching as it's handled lazily on the ice like they have no experience whatsoever.

Capt was right. They hold the puck for too long like it's a fucking baby before they play a game of hot potato and pass it to their teammate.

Amateurs.

Cam continues to flounder all over the place, not because he doesn't know what he's doing, because he's fucking bored like the rest of us.

I watch as he goes up to players from Edmonton and tries to play peek-a-boo with them, skating away to try with someone else when they don't play along.

I even hear Coach laugh at his theatrics, which is surprising because any other game Cam would have his head on a wooden stake.

Liam stands pressed right against the plexiglass, little hands tapping as I see him fidget, waiting for something to happen.

He's wearing his little jersey with a bag of popcorn balancing in his hands, Maeve right behind him glaring at the rink with narrowed eyes like it's hurt her.

I'll admit, it did take some convincing to get Maeve to take the night off and spend it here which hurt my ego more than it should have but Liam boosted it right back up again when he shouted, "I'm going to be just like Rhys when I'm old. Well, not trying to kiss my sister but you get the idea."

Cam plays peek-a-boo some more before giving up and just skating laps. It's not like we need his help anyway when it's like we're playing against full grown toddlers.

Oh, what a shocker. We end up winning 0-5, and it was such a lame game the team doesn't even end up going out to celebrate.

I walk out to the parking lot with Noah and Seth to find our girls (plus Liam) so we can go back to my apartment for some beers.

"Rhys! That was so cool. Can we come to more games, Mae?" Liam asks, knowing exactly what he's doing with those eyes.

Maeve narrows her eyes on her brother, exhaling before straightening. "Sure."

Liam jumps up and down, eventually jumping into my arms with an oomph.

"We'll meet you guys at your apartment, Rhys? Cam and Mike are already there apparently." Seth asks, his arm resting on Kyla's shoulder.

I nod, hiking Liam up when he slips. "See you guys there."

Maeve and Liam come home in my truck, miraculously beating the other four here.

As soon as I help him down from the truck, Liam's already running inside the building and up the stairs, mumbling something about Cammy and having to show him the new cars he got.

"Cammy! Mikey! Look! I have new cars and a new monster truck! Maeve got them for me and she brought the games you guys got me for my birthday!" Liam shouts when he sees Cam and Mike standing at the counter, a beer in each of their hands.

Liam's nose scrunches when he gets closer to them, stopping to a halt. "Ew. That smells like Dad."

I glance to Maeve who swallows, closing her eyes for a moment before saying,

"Show them your trucks, Liam." Her voice is stern, her back pin straight.

Mike and Cam glance her way before putting the beers in the sink, washing their hands of the scent before going to the table to sit and listen to Liam ramble about everything is little brain can think of.