Chapter 24

Rhys

Holy shit, my hands are shaking like a fucking leaf.

I'm standing outside Maeve and Ava's door, flowers held tightly in my sweaty hands.

Maeve already told me she had to work tonight so she wouldn't be home when I pick Liam up but Ava, her roommate that I've only met a couple times, will be.

I hear shouting and loud feet stomping against the floor after I knock along with Ava shouting something like, "You're not allowed to open the door!"

But Liam doesn't seem to listen as he's the one to open it any way, his little cheeks red from excitement.

"Look at my outfit! And Ava did my hair!" He exclaims, pointing down at himself.

He's wearing a little suit with a Transformers bow tie, his blonde hair gelled back and combed through.

"Buddy, you look amazing!" I tell him, crouching down so I can hand him his small bouquet of blue and red flowers.

He giggles, running back into the apartment with them, frowning when he drops a few.

"Ava! Look! Rhysie got me flowers!"

Ava comes out from down the hall, taking the flowers and putting them in a vase.

"They'll be here when you get back, bud." She tells him, letting him take one last sniff before placing them in the middle of the counter.

I clear my throat, the room feeling suddenly small as I shove Ava her own flowers, the bouquet much larger than Liam's.

"These are for you. I thought you deserved some flowers of your own."

She blinks, clearly surprised before she gives me a sideways hug, still smiling as she lays them beside Liam's.

"Thank you. Oh! I have Liam's car seat. It's pretty easy to install. It's just a block of plastic." She shrugs, handing it to me.

I haul Liam up into my arms when Ava asks if she can take a photo to send to Nova, Liam's smiles so big he closes his eyes.

"Have fun Liam! Be back before bed." Ava winks at me, still laughing as she closes the door behind us when Liam boos her.

Once Liam's settled into my truck, his feet kicking the air and eyes glued out the window as I drive to the ice cream shack just minutes away, he mumbles something I don't quite catch.

I glance at him through the rear view mirror, eyebrow raised. "What was that?"

"I was just trying to figure out what type of ice cream I want." He giggles.

He ends up getting chocolate, most of the ice cream all over our table on the patio.

"Rhys?" He asks, his feet kicking mine under the table, wooden spoon flicking ice cream everywhere.

"Yes?"

"Will you sleepover tonight and read me a story? Mae works really late tonight and she won't have time." His eyes meet mine, a slight gloss to them.

I pull his chair closer to mine, grinning when he uses the opportunity to reach over to my bowl to taste my ice cream.

It's a good thing I chose to wear sweats after practice tonight 'cuz I didn't bring an extra pair of clothes.

"I will definitely be sleeping over." Not just because I love this kid to death but so I might be able to see Maeve when she gets home.

He pats my cheek. "Good. You can borrow some of my pj's if you need them."