Chapter 34

Maeve

My head feels like it weighs a hundred pounds.

Stars dance behind my eyes, throbbing and piercing pain shooting through me.

I try to lift my hand but it feels stuck. I try again and something tightens around it.

"Nova? Can you hear me?"

I don't believe it's Rhys. Because Rhys also told me to close my eyes and drift away-which I did-but I thought I wouldn't feel this heavy. This exhausted.

I also saw myself with my mom. Which is a weird thought because yes, she was almost as worse as my father but maybe without him around, she'd actually be a mom. My mom.

"Nova? Please open your eyes."

The voice is a plea that breaks my thoughts, and I frown. How fucking dare they disturb me.

"Please. Please. I-I can't do this without you."

I blink.

Fuzzy lights surround me, making me nauseous and dizzy as fuck.

"Hey, Nova. Did you miss me?" A teary laugh from my right has me turning my head slightly and I'm met with piercing chocolate eyes.

Rhys grins before wiping his cheek, clearing his throat before turning his attention back onto me. "How are you feeling? Do you need anything?"

I don't answer, my head foggy as I glance around the room. There's a TV on the wall across from me, a table and chairs behind Rhys. Even a small couch in the other corner.

"Why does it feel like I was hit with one of Liam's trucks?" My voice is raspy, which makes me cringe.

Rhys laughs, standing to press a faint kiss on my forehead. I don't miss the way he keeps wiping at his eyes.

"Yeah, I bet. He's been in and out of here, trying to talk to you. I don't think he quite understood that you couldn't hear him but it was quite amusing watching him." Rhys tells me, bringing his chair even closer to my bed.

I fiddle with my gown, eyes focused on the IV placed in my hand. There are so many wires attached to me that I have to look away.

"So-" I clear my throat, fumbling. "-when can we leave?"

"The doctor said as soon as you wake up, he'll go over a few things and then we can go. There's not much they can do anymore." He's still not meeting my eyes.

"What's the damage?" I whisper.

Rhys sniffles. "Collapsed lung, concussion, dislocated shoulder, some stitches in the back of your head."

I nod, letting the awkward silence brew. I think we're both treading over something we don't want to dive into right now so I ask,

"How are you? How have you been?"

Rhys slumps, looking over his shoulder. He never lets go of my hand.

When he does meet my gaze again, his eyes are brimming with tears, his chin wobbling. "I-I couldn't find your pulse, Nova. I couldn't find it. I thought you had died. I thought you had died in my lap."

A sob passes through his body, tremors working through him. His hand shakes in mine so I grip him tighter, ignoring the twinge of pain in my other shoulder.

"Shh. Don't cry, Rhys. I'm right here. And I'm okay. We'll both be okay." I coo, using my left hand to swipe at the many tears.

Rhys sniffles, nodding. "I don't know what I would have done if I lost you."