Chapter 29

Rhys

"I think this is the day I quit. I know I say that everyday but I think I'm actually gonna do it." Cam bitches from the back of Noah's truck, his body sprawled across the back seat.

Noah arches an eyebrow at him through the rear view mirror. "Is it because Coach actually made you work today? Because you couldn't play peek-a-boo with the team?"

Cam huffs, giving Capt the finger. "Yes. Of course it's that. Who voluntarily wants to play hockey? Peek-a-boo is so much better. Or hide and seek."

I roll my eyes, shaking my head at Cameron. He does have a position on our team but half the time no one can remember what it is.

"How the fuck do you play hide and seek?" I ask, amused, which makes Noah glare at me for entertaining Cam's foolishness.

Cam lights up, sitting up straight. "Well, today I went and told Tyler he was it and had to come find me. Guess where I was hiding?"

It's silent for a few moments before I realize he wants us to ask him. "Where were you hiding Cam?" My voice is sarcastic.

"I hid behind Capt. He's the best fucking wall to hide behind. Thick legs, broad arms. Tyler didn't find me for the first ten minutes of practice." Cam crosses his arms, a proud smug setting on his face.

Noah let's out a laugh. I blink in surprise. "So that's what I kept tripping over. I thought I left my guards on but it was just Cam."

Cam rubs his side, pouting. "And you kept elbowing me. That shit hurt."

Noah shrugs, not a care in the world. I snicker.

Cam opens his mouth to say something but is fortunately interrupted when Noah's phone goes off, the centre console letting us know it's a call from Allie. Noah answers it and Cam hoots.

"Oh Allieeee. Guess what? Today, I was playing hide and seek with-" Cam gets cut off when Allie starts speaking.

"Noah? Could you come pick me up?" She sounds out of breath. Scared even.

Noah blinks, confused. "Of course. But I thought you were going home with Maeve?"

There's a quiet sob, like she pulled away for a moment before her sniffles become louder again. "I was but she got a call from what sounded like Liam and she got all freaked out and-yeah."

Cam pats my shoulder, worry creasing his eyebrows but all I can do is shrug and listen.

Noah's hands tighten on the steering wheel, his left knee bouncing. He's clearly anxious as I watch him pull into a parking lot to turn around. "Are you still at the arena, love?"

"Yes." Her voice shudders.

"Okay, we're turning around now. I'll be there as quick as I can, Allie."

"O-okay."

I sit up straight, hands clenching. "Allie? What's wrong with Liam?"

"I'm not sure, Rhys. She didn't tell me. But uh-maybe you guys should go check on her first. She sounded like she really needed someone. I'll be okay." Allie explains, and I can hear how worried she is.

I swallow. "Noah I think we should-"

What if something really bad actually happened? What if- I can't live without Maeve again. Or Liam. The thought makes me want to curl up and sob.

His head snaps towards me, jaw ticking and eyes narrowed. "Allie but-" He sounds like he wants to cry.

"I'll be okay, Noah. I promise. The arenas locked for the night but I found a Starbucks to sit at. So I think you should drive Rhys to Maeve's." Allie's tone is light but it's still shaky, like something scared her.