Chapter 27

Maeve-age 16

Where is he?

I haven't seen Rhys in over a week since the night of my birthday. Yes, we had sex. And yes, maybe we're too young to be doing that but why would we wait when we both know we're going to spend the rest of our lives with each other.

It's been one week of me going around our city looking for him. One week of tears and heartbreak and so much god damn pain.

My dad has been the complete opposite of nice.

I think he knows about Rhys and I somehow but I don't ask him.

When over a month comes around and Rhys still hasn't been found, I declare him dead. I would rather he be dead than have left me alone here.

I picked up extra shifts so I could start planning a small funeral. It'll just be me attending since his parents are missing as well but I pour everything I have into it.

He's worth everything I have and more.

Around the two month mark, three days before the funeral, my mom tells me she's pregnant.

Yippie.

The day of the funeral, I'm scrambling. I hadn't purchased a casket or anything like that-too depressing-but everything I bought in memory of Rhys is gone.

I bought his favourite albums, some hockey equipment he's always wanted, along with our favourite books and toys. I also dug up some of our stuffed animals that we used to play with and so many photos.

But it's all gone before I could even give him all of it.

I thought me giving him all this stuff, he wouldn't be lonely up there. That he would remember me and have fun playing hockey and making new friends until I join him, which will be directly after my little brother or sister turns eighteen so I know that they'll be okay before I leave.

But my dad sold everything for drugs.

Rhys never did end up having a funeral because I was so numb. Numb from the thought that if I did, I'd have nothing to give him so he could live a better life up there.

And I'd thought he'd hate me for how weak I've become.

Three months after my dad stole everything, I tried to overdose.

I stuffed my face full of drugs so I was certain that I would join Rhys so soon.

But before I popped even more in, my mom told me she was having a boy. That I'd have a little brother.

So I become numb. And dead. But I lived in hopes this brother of mine could have a better life than Rhys and I.

I've been numb and dead ever since.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maeve-present

"I think the worst part was that-" Rhys swallows, gripping me tight with trembling hands. "-that your father called CPS and the cops."

What. The. Fuck.

I push at his chest, needing space but he doesn't let go. Just drags me in tighter and strokes my back and as much as I hate it, I'm thankful he knows what I need in this moment.

"He-what? But-oh god." I can't even form words. I stutter, glancing up at Rhys, who gives me a sad, knowing smile.

My father took Rhys away from me. He took the one person I love and sent him away like he wasn't the reason I was still surviving.

I blamed Rhys for years. Years of pain and sorrow that I blamed on him, when I should have been blaming it on dad.

"I should have known. I should have fucking known. You wouldn't have left me voluntarily. I'm so sorry, Rhys. So sorry." I sob, my hand clutching at his shirt.

He lifts me under my arms until I'm fully seated, straddling his hips, my arms around his neck and his protecting my waist. "Hey, hey. You have nothing to be sorry for, Nova. It wasn't your fault."

I sob even harder, my arms strangling his neck like my lifeline. "But I should have known. And I was such an ass to you after the bar and for what? Because my own Dad put you through hell and had you taken away."

Taken away from me.

He shushes me, cupping my face in his hands, his forehead falling against mine. I close my eyes because I can't bear to look at him. He brushes away escaping tears with his thumb, mumbling about how much he hates when I cry.

"Nova. Listen to me. It is not your fault. It's not. So, if I hear one more thing come out of your pretty mouth about it, I will shut you up."

I laugh but it sounds like a wet gurgle. I cringe. "Oh yeah? And how do you plan on doing that?"

He thinks about it, still cupping my cheeks in his hand, his fingers dancing along my lips. "Well, there are a few ways but I think I'll start with this."

He leans down so close our noses bump before he tilts his head, chocolate hair falling over his bright eyes. He smiles so softly that if I wasn't this close, I wouldn't even be able to tell he smiled at all.

His lips brush against mine, softly before I lean in more, needing. It's like our first kiss all over again, two scared teenagers sharing every first with each other.

We break apart, staring each other down. His fingers get tangled in my hair, combing through.

I startle when the door is slammed open.

"If you two... fucked, change the sheets. They're in the closet." Noah gags from the door, hiding his eyes behind his hand like we're sitting here naked.

"Dinners ready you horny teenagers!" Noah yells from down the hall after he runs off, and I think I hear Cam yell something like,

"Oh man! They didn't invite me? Damn. That would have been an awesome threesome."

Rhys laughs, his shoulders shaking with the effort as he sits us up, smiling down at me. I love when he smiles.

"Let's go eat some turkey."