Chapter 6

Maeve

Eight days.

Eight fucking days.

Eight long and painful days of Rhys showing up at my cafe.

He comes in, usually just before noon and orders a coffee.

He doesn't try to talk to me anymore. I guess he learned after four days of dead silence from me that I wasn't going to budge.

Everyday he comes strolling in. Simply orders a coffee, gives me a nod of his head and whispers,

"I'm sorry, Nova."

Every. Fucking. Day.

I've heard those three words for eight days.

Feels like a fucking lifetime at this point.

At least he hasn't shown up at the diner.

Five year old me would be so fucking confused on why we hate Rhys.

Why we dread his face. His voice. Him.

But five year old me didn't know what heartbreak was. Didn't know what loneliness was to no repair.

But seventeen years later, I've felt it all.

To think I used to love him and gave him everything I could offer.

I was so fucking pathetic.

Who the fuck does that? Idiots, apparently.

So that is why I've decided to go to a bar.

And get fucking wasted.

Liam is with our dad tonight because he practically begged me to see the fucker, apparently not seeing him for over a week was too long.

How bout' never?

Ava shuffles beside me, grabbing some fancy ass margarita before taking a long sip, adjusting her hearing aids when the song hits a weird note, making her flinch.

"Is there any particular reason we're here and not at home reading a book?"

I roll my eyes at her. "You're fetish for 6,5 billionaires who would burn down the world for his girl can wait one night."

She takes another sip before pouting. "Urgh. I hate you. You know I can't be away from them that long."

I wave my hand over the crowded bar. "How about instead of feasting over fictional men, you try and find a real one?"

She freezes. "No. I'm not looking to do...that again."

When I met Ava two years ago, she had just gotten out of a relationship with some fucker who played hockey in Alberta.

I've never met the dude and he should be thankful because once I do, I'm messing him up like he did with Ava.

He stops by every so often when he's in town, begging for her forgiveness but every single time, I've been at work.

"You should try. I know it's hard but you might regret it when you're older."

I try to come off gentle but she still winces and shakes her head.

"No, Maeve. I just can't."

I nod, giving her hand a squeeze before a loud holler forces me to look to my right where I see Rhys and his team.

"Well, do you think you can keep me company while I go say hello to my favourite hockey team?"

She perks up slightly, gazing over my head to look at the large group.