Chapter 20

Noah Carter

"Are you really, really, sure that it's okay? He doesn't have to sleepover if you guys are uncomfortable with it-"

Allie touches Maeve's shoulder gently, quietly telling her to stop rambling. Maeve looks like she wants to jump off a cliff, the amount of fidgeting she's done making me want to help her.

In a friendly way, of course.

"We want to watch Liam for the night. Rhys asked us a couple weeks ago if it was okay so we're prepared. It's not like you're just springing it on us." Allie tells her.

Maeve looks back at Rhys in disgust. "Am I the only one who didn't know I was going on a date tonight?"

He shrugs. "Pretty much. Cam and Mike suggested we go to a-"

Maeve interrupts him, glaring. "Don't you dare fucking tell me what Cam and Mike suggested."

Rhys rolls his eyes, grabbing her shoulders a little too tightly as he guides her out our front door.

"If you guys needs anything, please call." Maeve pleas.

Rhys huffs. "Maeve, it's fine. They know how to call 911 if needed."

Maeve's jaw drops and she looks like she wants to punch the living shit out of him, something I would fully supported if asked to.

Rhys whistles, slowly closing the door on their faces. "Probably not the best thing to say on the first date with your future wife-"

Maeve slaps his arm. "If you don't shut the hell up right now, I will kick it shut. You're going to take me out to dinner, you're going to buy me a drink and you're going to think twice when you open your mouth tonight."

Rhys tips his head back groaning, eyes rolling to the back of his head. "Oh fuck. You bossing me around almost has me on my knees. Talk dirty to me some more, Nova."

Maeve snickers before sobering. "Get your ass out the door. My dinners waiting."

Rhys salutes Allie and I before they finally disappear.

Thank fuck.

Who knew two people could be so fucking loud and disruptive-

"Noah! We have to finish the movie! Rhys told me there's like three movies after this one!"

Liam shouts, running to go plop down on our couch, crossing his legs and waiting patiently.

Damn it, Rhys.

Allie smiles at me, her head tilted as she shuffles towards me, her arms wrapping around my waist tightly.

"I'll finish making dinner so you can go sit down-"

I cup her cheeks in my hands, rubbing my thumb along her lips.

"How about I finish making dinner so you can go sit down and take your knee brace off, mhm? And then you and Liam can cuddle with Leo?" I counter, watching her bite her lip in thought.

"Fine. But only because you offered to bring me an ice pack."

I kiss her nose to hide my own smile. "I think you're starting to use me, Wes."

She grins, eyes bright. "You love it, though."

"I love you."

Liam is disappointed for all of two seconds that he learns we won't be watching the movie right away but it's quickly forgotten when Allie brings out Leo, who likes to snuggle in our bed.