Chapter 3 Changes

The next morning my mother was shaking my shoulder lightly so I could get up and ready for school.

I couldn't really put my finger on it but something felt off that morning.

When she finally got the blanket off of my head she looked at me with wide shocked eyes. It made me a little scared. With slightly teary eyes; I asked her, "Mama, why are you looking at me like that?"

It was like my voice knocked her out of the trance but she looked at me still with wide eyes. She started to blink and lightly smiled. "I'm sorry sweetie but I was just surprised because I don't remember putting you to sleep with cat ears last night."

I tilted my head to the side, and told her, "But you didn't put cat ears on my head Mama."

She looked shocked and put her hand out and I thought she was going to pat my head like she always did but I felt it in a different spot. It felt like it was on my head but at the same time, it wasn't. I looked up at her, and asked, "Where are you touching mama? It feels like it's on my head but it's not really. It also feels nice and comforting."

The next thing I knew there was a rumbling sound. The sound also made my mother stop patting me. Both my mother and I looked around to see if we could find the rumbling. Then I touched my chest, and I could feel the rumbling... It was coming from me! "Mama... that noise is coming from me!"

She looked at me confused. I grabbed her other hand and put it on my chest. Her eyes got big again, and said, "Yes baby. It is coming from you." She stayed quiet and said, "Also sweetheart...

I looked up at her confused, and asked, "Yes mama?"

"... I just realized that your eyes changed color." She said in a kind of confused and shocked voice.

I looked at her confused, and said, "What do you mean mama? My eyes aren't green anymore like Papa's?"

She closed her eyes, and shook her head gently, "No sweetie. They are a completely different color now. Also where I was touching you on your head well..." She stayed quiet and bit her bottom lip. "...well I think it's best for you to see for yourself."

She got up from the bed, grabbed me, and held me on her hip. She was walking us to the bathroom. She put her hand on the doorknob but didn't turn it to open it. Before she did she looked at me, and said, "Close your eyes." I must have looked at her confused because she said, "It'll be like a fun surprise."

I looked at her with a huge smile and closed my eyes. I heard the door open and she set me on the counter. My feet were in the sink and my back was leaning up against her chest. She puts her hands on my eyes, and asks, "Ok, are you ready to see?"

If I'm being honest I was a little scared and nervous. I guess she could sense that because she said, "It's okay to be scared and nervous right now. What you are about to see will be a shock but you must remember what I told you... your papa and I will love you no matter what."

I took a deep breath to prepare myself for what I was about to see. I nodded my head, and said, "Ok mama... I'm ready."

She slowly removed her hands. I still had my eyes shut for a little longer before I slowly opened them, my right eye first then my left. She was right, what I did see shocked me. My eyes went huge when I looked at myself in the mirror. I now have light purple eyes. I looked up and almost jumped when I saw cat ears on the top of my head. I went to touch them but they twitched. I laughed lightly and tried to touch them again. This time I was able to. I grabbed them and pulled and scrunched up my face. "Ouch!" I said then saw the ears flatten down on my head.

My mother chuckled lightly, and said, "Be careful sweetie. They are new but I would also suspect they would hurt if anyone pulled them until you get used to them." I just nodded my head. She pulled her hand up again and tried to pull my hair behind my human ears but I didn't have any of them anymore. "Well that would make sense since you have cat ears now. I just wanted to see if you had any."