Chapter 14 A Heartbreaking Goodbye

We are (early in January) five months into our last year of high school as Seniors. We have about four months until graduation and Casssadie, Kylie and I are very excited about that. Also Kylie and I are about to be three years together. It is crazy how time flies when you are in love with your best friend.

Speaking of Kylie for almost a year, since our anniversary date, she has been acting a little strange lately. She has been quiet, distant, and to herself mostly. She always looks like she's lost in thought. In fact when Cassadie and I talk to her she snaps out of it a little scared and always asks what did we say to her even if we haven't said anything to her. As her girlfriend I am very concerned about her and I can tell that Cassadie is also worried about her.

We are currently eating lunch and Kylie went to the bathroom. I decided to talk to Cassadie about it. I asked her with my voice full of worry, "Hey, do you think Kylie has been a little off lately?"

She nodded her head and said, "I didn't want to bring it up because she's your girlfriend but I have noticed that and it's making me worried."

I nodded my head and said, "It's making me very worried also. Not just because she is my girlfriend but because she is OUR best friend." It was quiet for a while until I muttered, "I wonder what is wrong with her that she's been acting like that?"

I felt a hand on my arm. I looked up and saw that it was Cassadie. She gave me a soft smile. She said, "Why don't you find out?"

I looked at her a little confused and asked, "How did you know I asked that question?"

She looked at me with an equal amount of confusion and said, "I don't know if you noticed but you have a mumble problem now. You say what you think in your head out loud."

I looked at her shocked, I felt my face heat up from embarrassment. I basically yelled, "I DO?!"

A voice came out of nowhere asking, "You do what?"

I looked up and saw my beautiful girlfriend. I looked at her with the same shocked face and said, "Cassadie said I have a mumble problem and that I say out loud what I think in my head."

I saw her nod her head and said, "Hate to tell you but she's right baby."

I just looked at the table and said, "Wow, I had no idea."

Both Kylie and Cassadie nodded their heads.

Kylie asked, "What were you guys talking about when I got her and made her come to that conclusion?"

Cassadie and I looked at each other a little worried and gave off a nervous laugh.

Kylie then had a worried and kind of confused look on her face. She asked, "Ok based on the look on your faces I would like to know."

I looked back at Cassadie and she gave me a nod. I let out a sigh, looked down at the table and thought, 'I guess she's going to make me tell her since I am her girlfriend.'

I looked back up at Kylie and said, "Well we were talking about how we are both worried about you."

She looked at me with confusion. She tilted her head and asked, "Why are you both worried about me?"

I said, "Because you haven't been acting like yourself lately. It seems like you've been distracted, distant, and thinking about something recently."

She looked back at us shocked; almost like she got caught on how she's been acting, like we didn't notice. She then let out a slow breath and in a quiet voice she said, "Well there is something I need to tell both of you. I want to tell you girls separately though."

Cassadie and I looked at each other. We then smiled then looked back at Kylie and nodded our heads. She let out a breath and said, "Thank you both."

She looked at Cassadie and said, "I will tell you first because I'm going to need advice on how to tell Elsie. I know you will help a lot."

Cassadie nodded her head and said, "Can you come over to the house after school? Elsie won't be there because she has something to do after school today."

Kylie nodded her head and said, "I'm sure I'll be able to." She looked towards me and asked, "What are you doing after school today?"

I let out a sigh and said, "Well as the student council president, the committee and I are discussing the preparations for graduation that's happening in a few months."