Chapter 5 Meeting with Principal Mathers

As I came downstairs I was both happy and nervous at the same time; I mean it's the last day of school before summer break. I am going to have so much fun with my parents just like we always do! I'm also nervous because I don't know how to act or how to control the weird thing that's happening to me.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard my father speak. "Ok, we have a meeting with Elsie's principal. We need to explain or come up with something to tell him about her ears at least for this last day. We will have to do the same thing at her new school when summer break ends."

I stood next to my father and looked up at him a little confused. He just looked at me and smiled as he reached out his hand. I smiled back and grabbed his hand. He led us to the front door. We got to the door and put on our shoes before we went outside. I finished first and just waited for my parents.

"Ok and yes that makes sense." My mother spoke as she rubbed my head. My white hair was put up in pigtails with a big red ribbon in each tail. Both my parents could tell that I was excited because my pigtails were bouncing up and down as I was doing it.

I heard both of my parents chuckle. I looked up at both of them with a confused look. My father said, "Sorry baby we are just chuckling because we see how excited you are about going to school right now."

I then smiled and said, "Yes! I am so excited! I can't wait to go and see my friends. I'm going to get them to sign their names in my book so I can remember them since some of us might not go to the same school next time."

When we made it outside I looked up at my mother and she told me with a smile, "Remember we are going to tell your principal your ears are just headbands. Ok?"

I gave her a big toothy smile and said, "Ok mama."

We went outside and started the walk to my school. It's not far at all, only a five-minute walk. I was in the middle of my parents holding both of their hands still bouncing up and down smiling while my parents talked about something. As I saw the school getting closer I stopped bouncing and slowed my steps. My parents noticed my actions.

My father picked me up and asked, "Hey sweetheart, what is the matter?"

I looked up at him with tears in my eyes. I didn't want him to worry so I shook my head and put my ears down to my head and said in a soft voice, "Nothing Papa."

My father picked me up and rubbed circles on my back. He put my arm on his chest and hugged me and in a gentle voice he said, "Elsie sweetie, I want you to tell me the truth, please. I know that something is wrong because your ears are folded down to your head and you're trembling. So what is wrong dear?"

I stayed quiet for a bit, trembling gently in his hug. I gently pushed up from his hold with my arm and looked up at him and said, "I am still excited to go to school but I am also nervous and kind of scared to go at the same time."

My parents looked at each other with a sad look. My mother asked, "Why is that sweetie?"

I sniffled and said, "Because I look different from everyone else. What if no one wants to be my friend anymore because I look like this now?" I started sobbing at the end of my question.

My parents looked at each other again and gave each other a sympathized look. I felt the arms around me tighten and I felt myself relax. In a gentle voice, my father said, "Sweetie please don't think like that. It makes your mama and I very sad. If that does happen then you can make better friends at your new school. But I am sure that is not going to happen."

I just looked at him with tears in my eyes. I took in a shuddering breath and said, "Thank you for saying that and I'm sorry."

My father pulled me back into his embrace and said, "You're very welcome, my big girl. No need to say thank you or sorry. You know Mama and I will always be here for you to encourage you when you need it. We both understand that this whole thing is scary but we will get through it together... as a family."