-Night's End-

Hobbling around was not what Bera imagined her days would turn into.

Technically it is not her fault to have broken her leg... It is the fault of the ground hitting it too hard.

In the grand panic of last week, all was falling apart.

Unrest with the peacekeepers, victors and even normal citizen was heightened, causing more brawls and fights to break out, more arrested, more maimed. It was a pot of boiling anger that risked bubbling over any moment because of such unjust end brought to that family.

Jess might as well be considered dead at this point. She had way more severs burns then Bera who mostly had burned hands through the gloves from touching just searing hot things. She could move around tho most of the time chose not too. From the bathroom to drinking it was like forcing her, she was doing nothing. Wasting away. If depression was not it before it is now!

Woof was just deteriorating, barely talking in more then a mumble or even coherent with his word which made his moody which affected the peacekeeper problem. Cecelia and Bera having to pay his higher and higher bail.

Bera could barely get the hung of crutches and Valerius had confiscated them so she was locked in the home now... Might be a consequence of her too going ham on a peacekeeper with what were basically short metal staffs.

District 8 was on the ledge of a complete collapse in on itself and Bera couldn't corral them like she could the Capitol or maybe even the other districts in some way by being influential. This was her district, she might be a victor, but she is still a normal citizen back here. The long ago given fearful honor was gone, they once again looked at her like the little anti-social girl with a temper problem that they could roll their eyes too and not bother with.

She was stuck on the couch unless she hoped around the home on one leg and leaning against the walls. At least this will be only for like three months at max... Oh fuck her!

She sighed, rubbing her forehead, leg up on the little coffee table, like isn't the tibia meant to be the strongest bone in the human body? Or was that the femur? There is the fibula! A much thinner bone behind it but noooooo tibia went out with the deepest of bows and collapsed dead on the stage. And the injury was still too resent to even put weight on the cast, she was like a freaking rabbit.

"If you glare so much, you leg will catch on fire." She shot Valerius a glare as he hissed. "Bad taste, no need to say it." He said before she could unleash her mounting frustration at... At life!

"He will regret this."

"Bera you need to be careful, one of these days you'll outlive your use in his eyes." A hand on her shoulder. "We didn't do all this for it to end like that."

"You mean you, I never was given a choice." He sighed at her words, this will be his greatest shame and most prized choice. He'd do it over again a hundred times if it always resulted in his granddaughter coming back alive. He'd sacrifice his relationship and guilt each time if he was to start over. Bera wanted James to live, Valerius would have never let it happen.

"Sometimes you make bad choices for what you believe is a greater good."

She stayed silent. She had given up extremely fast about getting the father free and didn't even check if the mother just had broken legs but was alive under the rubble... She could have tried more but she made her choice, like Valeruis had, a carried the guilt of such a choice in exchange for a choice she'd make each and every time it was given to her. She'd always sacrifice the parents to save their children.

Three out of the four... She had been the reason for three out of the four to perish... Why can't she just be normal? Dammit.

------------------------------------------------

The night was heavy and the light none.

And yet the sound of crashing was heard, awakening Bera this time instead of her nightmares doing that.

She sat up, turning to the bedside table on and listening in case she heard something else but the dreadful feeling of the peacekeeper coming back to finish what they wanted to do what too large to think of anything else.

She stood up, waving her arms for a moment to gain balance on her one leg before grabbing the pair of scissors on the little bedside table, snapping it into two blades and grabbing one between her teeth as she hopped to the door, sticking her ears against it.

Not a sound outside of her heartbeat.

She cracked it open and was lucky enough there was carpet in the hall to silence her hops out into it.

She kept listening before feeling around the wall to find the light switch she knew to be there.

Finally light filled the area and blinded her.

"Fuck." She thought, she had made sure, all doors were locked before but the front door was seen gaping open from here and Jess' room door was creaked open.

She hurried over, even stepping on her leg, making it awfully painful as the throbbing in it turned to pure pain, throwing the door open and ready to throw the  first of the weapons through and at the peacekeepers she expected.

But...

It was not peacekeepers...

...