70th

Aaaand two legs in the air.

Ah if only it was sex the person thought but no, it was because an angry victor from 8 kicked them up with such a force that they hit the ground with their head first while their feet were in the air.

Why? Because they dared to even hint at that an Avox should off themselves within earshot of that victor.

And that's how the staff learned that no matter how broken they thought this woman to be, she was their biggest threat to their learned normalcy.

Bera had made life her enemy and it would not be the mortal that would beg for mercy.

No one dared to stand up to her, everyone knew better, everyone wanted to live.

And that's how the mentor was let inside the tribute center while the other tributes were there and teaching her tributes as if she was a staff of the place.

The other tributes didn't dare to watch the wrathful woman for too long tho, fearing what monsters she'd free into the arena purely from what their own mentors told them about her and what they saw.

And even so.

She had pity for the few deserving of it.

8 wasn't the only one watching her show them how to break a skull on a staff, not a staff on a skull, the skull itself because of the strength. She hadn't chased off the girl for 4, Annie was it? All she knew her as was Finnick's girlfriend, finally the Capitol caught up.

And sadly, her loyalties lied with making the Capitol into enemies and letting them know she was behind it all.

And so she ended up talking to the scared girl alone, ended up repeating her theories to victory to her, actually unfairly favoring her because who would be more of a fuck you to the Capitol? Somehow Bera bringing more victors to 8? Or having a girl that's in the games already because she is dating Finnick win because is Bera.

As monstrous as it was, she hoped 4's girl would win, not only to rub it in Snow's face that Finnick has his chick survive, Annie was also a girl that couldn't fight despite being from a career district but also it was Bera that showed her how to win and have her say it in the interviews. Snow disliked district solidarity so it would be another blow to him.

Bera would be sure to haunt his nightmares just like how the dead haunt her, she'll teach him the true meaning of fear, be it through consequences of actions.

No matter how far the white rabbit runs, the bear is never far behind.

--------------------------------------------------

And selfishly enough, Bera had let anger cloud her eyes, freeing her tributes in an arena she didn't prepare them for correctly.

At least 4's sacrifice for Jess was repaid in whatever morbid pact this could be called, even if accidental but her female tribute died for this Annie, taking a sickle down into her stomach and being gutted alive instead of Annie who ran off.

-----------------------------------------------------

Annie's arena turned out to be a death trap.

Because of how distracted the Capitol was with anger and demands, they had rushed its construction and something akin to a typhoon hit down.

The whole dome flooded in the middle of the night.

She didn't have any reason of watching, there was no bodies of water in 8, no rivers not lakes or canyons even, her tribute drowning in the flood once he lost his hold on the tree he was clinging too.

And yet she stayed.

She wasn't a fan of 4, but once the old mentor of 4 had gone to sleep, she remained seated with Finnick in silent company.

None of them talked and only one of them felt grateful for the company.

----------------------------------------------

And when Snow crowned Annie Cresta as the victor of the 70th after the traumatizing ordeal that left her mentally broken.

He couldn't help but see the ghost of a weed reach out and slowly ensnare his throat.

This young woman had spend 80% of the time running, crying and then swimming through the flood to survive... But that 20%.

That spin of the spear and throw, that defensive pose, that momentary forced courage.

It was all trademarked with the touch of one woman.

Even in other districts, this woman could save another doomed to die through a few of her teachings.

Never had Snow met such a force and let him pray to the god that Panem forgot about because that's his only way to prepare.

(fun fact I completely forgot Katnis doesn't realize what angels are or religion in the books because she does see those symbols I think it the first book until someone insisted to me that it was true and even sent me someone doing a tiktok analysis of that scene lol)