-Rat-

"Gah!" Bera yelled to herself, throwing the sticks down.

Sitting inside a broken building, another day out in the elements, it was cold even in her hoodie.

A stick rubbed between her hands and pressed into the wood was supposed to make embers! Embers were meant to be fire! But why isn't it working?!

Valerius despised her, and she did back, but when the old cow showed her something, it usually was what needed to be done to have that happen; if he says this is a blocking stance, it is; if he says that that is edible but causes people to shit for days because he saw a colleague of his suffering that then that plant does that! So why does the fire refuse to light?!

She kicked the wall, facing the corner where she piled up wood pieces from old crates to protect the fire from the wind... If the fire wanted to light.

She picked the little dowel up again and grabbed it with both hands, sighing; she'll need to apologize to those careers she inwardly mocked because they knew how to kill but not start a fire. She was no better than them, stuck trying like the waste of time it was.

"Come on." She muttered, hair hanging loose and dangerous as she leaned in, pressing the dowel down and moving her hands fast, trying again despite her arms being tired.

As annoying as it was, she felt a hair strand be ripped out because it got caught, making her jerk her head to the left, trying to throw it over her shoulder but failing.

Her quickly mounting anger was staunched hurriedly when smelling smoke, quickly concentrating on the wood again and rubbing harder.

"Come on, come on little guy." She muttered, gently putting her hands around the little ember, blowing on it, carefully holding a dried leaf to it.

A little streak of smoke rose as a small flame was born.

She grinned happily, moving it to a pile of leaves on top of the wood pile before putting a few wood pieces over the top... Next time, she'll steal a lighter before she is bitterly surprised hers has no more fuel, it is much preferable making fire with a lighter than with wood, she feel the soreness already.

She shook her arms out, moving over and laying down, putting her hands under her head.

She laid on an empty wooden pallet with old ripped clothing pilled on it because the ground was cold and would not keep her warm even with the fire nearby. Sure it was uncomfortable but Valerius had changed out the window and door locks, she needs to get her hand on a copy of them or find a way to force them open, no big deal.

Her eyes snapped open, damn she fell asleep? Bera never believed it would be so easy with the wind gusts all around her.

She sat up, rubbing her eye as she absently threw more wood over the fire to revive it before it even had a chance to die on her.

Looking out in the stary darkness with a sigh, she wishes she could be far from here, far from everyone she knows, to run away and start anew, the way she wants it, in a place she fits in... But wishing is for nothing else then making idiots dream.

Hmm?

She slowly grabbed a knife... Sure, it is a butcher's cleaver, but a knife nonetheless, looking around her shoulder.

She squinted, having a hard time to see in the night despite the clear sky, the moon was of no help, it wasn't in the right place to even try to offer any help.

She slowly raised her arm up and over her head, she'd have one chance at this, the thought almost made her stomach growl.

And she threw.

The metal echoed loudly in the silence when it hit the ground with a squeak.

She stood up, boots clicking against the paved inside of this would-be building, picking up the cleaver while the little rodent squeaked away in agony from the hurt she caused to it.

She kneeled; that was a nasty throw, hitting between shoulder blades and ribs.

"Sucks to be you." She said, but putting it out of its misery with a whack on the head of the rat with the sharp edge of the cleaver. "Yuck." She stuck out her tongue, lifted the bleeding and twitching rat by the tail, and watched it.

She still carried her back to her 'bed' and sat, still looking at it, debating, but her stomach growled.

Pulling the staff to her and tying the rat's tail in a knot around the handle, she hung it over the fire, disgusted by herself but stomaching the feeling and trying to convince herself it was just beef... It's a really hairy beef piece with paws and a head... It's a weird beef piece... Yeah...

Both of them hunted for being weak.

But unlike the rat, Bera had a bite and was not scared to show it.