-Show Off-

Districts 3, 7, and 8.

That's who Bera was willing to share part of her game with. She'll keep 4 in the back of her mind but she doesn't trust him enough to offer an alliance currently, maybe in the games if it is really needed...

Cecelia was quite happy Bera tried to team up, but it was not how she thought. It was not to protect herself, or at least not purely for that.

3's analytical mind, even without much training, she figured out how to fix her fire troubles. There could be similar things she did that could be improved if she kept her around.

7's probably strength. They might have no fighting training, but they are lumberjacks. They cut trees from a young age. She must be strong, which could be helpful.

And 8, just because they are from the same district, there is no other advantage to keeping James by her side. She was more robust, more prepared, more realistic... It is not much, but he's from home.

 But that meant thinking about how to kill them, too. She is not giving her life up to let them live.

If attacked, she could abandon them and buy herself time.

And when the time would come, Bera would be selfish.

When the time came, she'd push 3 off a cliff, strangle 7, or stab 8... She just needed to convince herself she could do it.

She was brought up as a fighter. She faced the world's harshness, but she survived Valerius' cruelty... But that was not killing.

A rat was not a human life.

"Bera Helfir. Time for the examination."

She sighed and stood. This room felt cramped anyway, with all tributes sitting in uncomfortable chairs, pressed together and waiting until they would be shown off to the gamemakers.

"Good luck," James whispered to her.

"I need no luck." She answered while walking away.

(I am putting the testing before the interviews for a reason. Don't worry.)

The training room was the same as it was but oh so empty of life, only the gamemakers in their stupid suits in their stupid room.

She stood in the middle, quickly deciding on a concise show-off. She'll show what she can and not overplay it in a spectacle. It would be useless.

"District 8, let's see you, talent, you have 10 minutes."

She'd only need to do three things. It will last 2 minutes. Let's get this over with.

She grabbed a spear and two throwing knives, probably to the gamemakers' confusion.

She weighed them in her hands. They were better balanced than what she trained with at home since those were not meant to be thrown like weapons.

She flipped it in her hand, walking to the line, and looked up at the target while holding the blade tip between her thumb and pointer, lifting it over her shoulder and watching the target before throwing it.

Shtank.

Yeah, there's no surprise here. The work will be done much more effortlessly if proper tools are used. The middle of the target is not that hard of a target to reach anyway. She could do it with shitty knives, so, of course, she hit when proper ones were used... However, she needed to ignore the fact that the target was a vaguely human-shaped form.

She shifted the spear to that hand, lifting it up too. This would be a bit harder. At home, she just had a broom handle. Even with a knife tied around its end, it was never solid or heavy enough to stab into her targets. This was just that. It felt much sturdier, heavier, thin metal tube instead of the large wooden dowel.

With a grunt, she threw it. Metal clanked loudly against each other as the spear hit to the left of the knife and dislodged it from the target, making it fall to the ground while taking its place, but the strength of the impact caused the target to swing... It seems even sandbags have a give.

She flipped the last knife through the air a few times, waiting for the spear to swing back her way before throwing it with all her strength and not caring that the spin given to her knife would never make it stick. That was not the goal.

The impact on the back of the spear was still strong enough to break through the bulging back of the sack. Finally, the spear tip emerged as the knife fell to the ground. Her only goal was to hit the back of the spear anyway.

She looked at the sand flow out of the back, the fake head falling forwards as it emptied of its lifeblood of whitish yellow grains.

That yellow would soon be replaced by red, and Bera needed to be ready. She'll be prepared.

There is no way she is dying here, so she'll show her claws and bare her fangs.

She'll bring them all down before she bites the dust.

She turned back to the gamemasters as she held her hands up by her side, slightly away from her body with her hand turned towards them, and put one leg in front of each other as she did with the mentor. All that was followed by a bow from the waist, keeping her head high and tilting it to the side as she looked at them. (I can't help but know she'd do the same thing as Katniss in the 75th or Lucy Gray Baird in the 10th did, that mockery of a bow.)

She straightened up, threw her left hand up, lifted high, and aimed at the ceiling and the other behind her back, keeping the pose for a moment before turning her back to them and walking away and out.

Hmm...

3 minutes... Let's hope she doesn't miscount next time.

Miscalculations could cause her death, and she refuses to be the one to die.

Not now, not ever.

Let them all tremble because she'll live up to her roots from 2 and give 8 a career tribute of its own.