-4-

(Trident in the shape that Finnick has for the 75th, so you know.)

Nightmares.

Nightmares plagued Bera. It was worse and worse; it felt like her mind was imploding on itself and blaming her.

And it never was the same. She couldn't get used to it.

It wasn't always Dawn driving a spear through her face. It wasn't always 1 shooting her through the throat. It wasn't always that boy beheading her at the cornucopia; it wasn't always the bear mutt grinding her bones into mush between its teeth, and they weren't always blaming her for their death.

But hearing a momentary piercing scream was something new.

She snapped awake only to see James' lifeless eyes staring right her way as his mouth hung open.

She looked up. 4 was standing on the side of his head, both hands around the handle of the trident he had driven through James' chest.

He ripped it out, blood splattering on Bera's face.

Boom!

"HAAA!!" He screamed, jabbing at her.

She threw herself backward, the trident spikes slicing deep through her chest and stomach in the arc of the movements.

She fell back, trembling as she looked at herself, touching her body but feeling nothing wet.

"What?" 4 muttered in equal surprise as she realized what was going on. He had not missed, but the end of his trident was covered with torn white pieces instead of red.

She pulled down the zipped, looking at the town pieces of paper that were tied to her using duct tape.

She had covered her arms and torso in a heavy layer of now soggy paper. That's why she got all those books. It was not much, but as it was shown right now, it saved her life.

She took a deep breath and looked up at the boy.

That same look in his eyes. He decided before she woke up that he would go and kill them now.

She gulped, staring him down as he did her.

And it was then that she scrambled to her feet, tackling him.

They fell over James' body, 4 hitting his head hard on the wall but swinging his trident.

The smack of metal against her face sent Bera off him.

She touched her jaw, and nothing felt out of place, but it was extremely sore, so much so that it was going numb on the left side.

She pushed to the left, seeing a shadow loom, but she still screamed.

The paper protection was not enough against such a weapon, piercing through the upper arm and pinning her down.

She looked behind and kicked, catching him nicely in the shin, gasping when he yanked the weapon out, pushing up, leaping to her backpack, emptying it out, and grabbing the knife as she turned to him, crouching.

"You should just lay down. It will be fast." He said.

"I knew I could never trust you." She hissed, her left arm hurting so much as she felt blood pour out of it.

She was so angry. Out of the three of them, James was actually the one that deserved to survive, not career 4, not selfish Bera, but James, the good-hearted James.

And he was now dead.

"Bastard!" She yelled at him, swinging her knife in front of her and hitting the trident between the prongs.

She put her second hand on the back of the knife, pushing back against the trident, arms trembling tho as her left one couldn't put in as much strength as she wanted. 

She jerked her hands to the right, freeing the knife and getting in a nice slice.

4 yelled out in pain, taking a few steps back.

"What the fuck?!" He yelled.

"You might have watched me train, but there was one thing I neglected to show." She flipped the knife from an average hold to a reverse grip and back to a standard hold. "I know how to fight close range, too. I don't need a spear, just a knife."

She jerked her arm left, the blade hitting away the trident as it impacted the handle of it since he was using only one hand to wield such a heavy weapon now, throwing her hand back in the other way, more blood splattering.

Knife straight through the elbow joint.

The knife escaped her hold when he punched her with the arm she hurt first, and how he moved his other arm away.

But she grabbed the trident so as not to fall, but she still did... But she also still held it.

She used it to stand up quickly and swung at his head, sending him down.

Without thinking, turning the prongs downwards and stabbed.

Boom!

She took a shaky breath, pulling the trident out, and stumbling to the med kit, falling into a sitting position.

She wanted to sit and do nothing but her arm...

She grabbed the duct tape's end and tore it, tearing the armor away from her body parts and checking if they were hurt, throwing them in a pile with her hoodie.

She rolled up her sleeve and looked at the hole in her arm.

She grabbed the med kit, opening it, and looked at the thread and needle before grabbing them.

She quickly and easily passed the thread through the eye of the needle and tied a knot on it so it wouldn't come out of it.

Bera bit the needle and used her hoodie to wipe as much blood as possible. She can't die now...

...

She grabbed the needle and bit on the hoodie's sleeve, looking at the slightly curved metal, clearly made to stitch wounds closed.

She held it up to her arm, her hands stalling.

Biting hard as she closed her eyes and stabbed.

"Mmrph!!" She groaned around the sleeve, letting go of the needle and hitting the ground with her fist.

With a few deep breaths, she put her thumb on the back of the needle and pushed it, driving it through the other side of the wound.

She was sweating more than for what she just did.

But it was not the needle that made her cry.

It was not the pain that made the tears roll down her face.

She wished it would have been that, but it wasn't.

It wasn't.