II

Entering their room, Jackie put her bag on her now new bed as MJ took a look around the room. it wasn't like her pervious now but she had to accept it. they noticed that all of their stuff were in the room, ready to be unpacked. as the two girls began taking their clothes out of their bags and settle them in, a knock was heard. "Girls, it's me. Can i come in?" hearing the voice of kathrine, jackie answered with a simple sure and the woman entered the room. "So how are you settling in?" the woman asked them, wanting to know how they found their now new home. "Can i get you anything? i'm sorry that there's not more room up here yet." she apologized for the room space but both girls didn't mind at all.

"it's fine." MJ said trying to sound convincing. "i'm sorry we're taking your space." she apologized now as she was folding her clothes. "oh please, i do not have time to paint anymore with all the kids running around. i want you to have it" she reassured them, not wanting to make them feel like they were some kind of intruders.

"so how'd go with the surgery?" jackie asked out of curiosity and tried to keep the conversation going. "oh, um, it went fine. uh, turns out Bo had a really bad ear infection. he's gonna be fine but it was bothering him and it was bothering his owner." kathrine chuckled. "did you study veterinary at columbia?" the question flew out of jackie's mouth, catching kathrine by surprise. "i saw the picture of you and mom," at the mention of their mom,MJ looked down trying not to cry, which thing was hard at this very moment but she pulled herself together. finishing her clothes folding, she took a seat on the bed, watching her sister and the Walter woman discussing about the question her sister mentioned before.

"no, uh, i got my first degree at columbia, and then i went to vet school at colorado state," she explained to both girls. "such a long time ago," she let out a sad chuckle as she remembered the old times. "you're so much like her." she said and looked at jackie, "and you, you're the spitting image of your father," she chuckled once again and looked at the younger Howard this time. hearing that she looked just like her dad, MJ let a small smile appear on her face, proud to be called a Howard. jackie noticed that little smile, and felt a huge relief that her sister wasn't completely lost.

"everyone says that. lucy looks," realasing what tense she was using, jackie quickly changed her answer, "-lucy looked more like dad. just like MJ," she looked down at her shoes, trying as well to process the whole thing. "well, it's not just your looks, you have her poise, her bearing. she talked about you and your sisters all the time," kathrine metioned. "she talked about you too, you know," MJ metioned as well. "she didn't metioned though that your family consists of eight kids," she finally let out her first chuckle and then a few more laughs were followed after.

"so how come we never met you before the funeral?"

"actually, we did meet, when you were really little. but then it got so hard for your mom and me to get together. we'd manage every couple of years, but we talked on the phone and we'd text. the last time i saw her, she was at telluride for the last film she did the costumes for." kathrine explained as she remembered calling and texting her best friend like it was yesterday. "yeah we remember,"

taking a seat as well, jackie was now sitting next to her sister, who was fidgeting with her hands trying not to cry and make herself look vulnerable. "i was actually planning a trip to come and see her when..the accident happened," at the hearing and mentioned of the accident both girls looked down, MJ letting a tear running down. noticing that one little tear, kathrine took a seat facing the two girls.

"girls, i know coming here is hard for you okay. and i cannot even imagine what you're going through. but you know it's what your mom wanted. i mean, your uncle richard he loves you. but he travels so much for his work. and your mom really wanted you to have a stable family around you. you get that right:?" earning nods from the girls, kathrine grabbed their hands trying to be comforting as much as she could.

"i loved your mom, and we made a promise to each other that we would always be there for each other's families if they ever needed us, and i wanna be here for you." she said trying to be helpful and make the girls feel at home. "if you'll let me," she said and looked at the younger Howard.