𝓹𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮

i remember it just like it was yesterday. maybe because it was yesterday, but yesterday was a year ago.

the kids, the church, the fire, everything.

now i lay in this stupid hospital bed, waiting on a report from the doctor.

my body ached and parts of my body were burned, but it was worth saving those kids.

i had no idea we're johnny, pony, and dallas were because i was unconscious when i was pulled out of the fire. all i remember is waking up on this hospital bed.

i felt...sad. i don't understand why, but i just did. i felt helpless, like i couldn't do anything in this bed. i prayed that i would be 100% alright and be allowed to leave.

my attention then turns to the opening of the hospital room door.

"well, ms. arabella patterson, things ain't lookin' too good." the doctor said, writing something down on a clipboard.

"what is it?" i asked, realizing my throat was very, very dry. my voice sounded extremely hoarse and it surprised me.

"well, let's just say it ain't great."

i clenched my fist under the sheets as i was now becoming impatient and annoyed with him.

"well, are ya gonna tell me?"

the doctor let out a heavy sigh and proceeded to make his way over toward me.

"your burns will heal easily, but you breathed in a lot of smoke. i'd say you needa take it easy. i'm forbiddin' you from smoking, permanently."

i felt my stomach tense up as the doctor said this. "no cigs?" i thought to myself, "you can't forbid me from that."

"i'll be lettin' mr. curtis know as well, so you don't try to go against my word." he said, as if he had read my mind.

i became instantly furious but hid it well when i saw a group of familiar faces inter the room.

"bella!" i heard johnny yell out as he rushed over to my side and embraced me. the rest of the gang followed in behind him.

"i told y'all not to come in here." the doctor said sternly.

"sorry doc," darry started, "we'll  l—"

"the hell we'll leave!" pony cut him off.

"language!" darry yelled, slapping his back hard enough for him to understand. pony formed a grimace on his face that wasn't long lived.

"so," two-bit began, poking his head through the crowd, "ya alright?"

i turned to look at the doctor, in which everyone else followed. he let out yet another heavy sigh.

"she can go home."

the gang all erupted into a fit of celebration. all except for dally.

i hadn't seen him the whole time they'd been here, but now i could see him leaning against the wall, staring straight at me. he and i had never really gotten along. we were always at each other's throats, but i thought this incident would at least make him realize that i could've died, and he should be nicer to me.

it's whatever though, i didn't want to think about that right now. i brushed him off and joined the rest of the crowd in celebrations.

after a while, the cheering died down.

"alright let's get ya home little lady!" steve said before swooping me out of my bed and throwing me over his shoulder.

"hey!" i yelled out playfully, slapping his shoulder.

"careful randle." darry said, "she's still got some recoverin' to do."

steve nodded and began to take me out of the room. the gang followed close behind.

"no smokin'!" the doctor yelled out right before i was out of earshot.