16. 𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓬𝓾𝓮

|16|
"nothing about the way you were ever treated         seemed especially alarming 'til now."
||MATILDA; HARRY STYLES||
                         ︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵
"oh my god!" soda called out while standing above me in his living room. he was now further inspecting my injuries.

soda, johnny, darry, pony, two-bit, and steve were all huddled around me.

johnny had changed me out of the dress as soon as i got here and into some sweat pants and baggy t-shirt.

"where does it hurt the most?" he asked worriedly.

i began to raise my shaky arm and weakly point a finger to my ribcage. everyone eyes widen at my motion.

soda immediately began to lift up the side of my baggy tee to check out my ribs. i slightly lifted my head to where i'd be able to see them as well.

quiet gasps filled the room as the shirt was lifted up to reveal my side almost black from how bruised it was. darry immediately left the room.

"oh my god bella..." soda whispered sympathetically.

he placed his hand on the skin in which i immediately flinched and jerked back. my action honestly hurt me worse than his.

"i-im sorry bella, i'm just trying to look-"

"i know," i cut him off weakly, "i-it just...hurts."

"i understand, but you need to let me check it out." he explained. i lifted my head up slightly to nod.

darry returned moments later with an ice pack wrapped with a paper towel.

"here," he said, leaning over to place it on my ribs, "this'll help."

soda took it from his grasp and slowly placed it onto my skin. i flinched from the cold at first, but soon got used to it.

soda stood back up all the way and looked down at me with the others.

"i can't believe your father did all this." he whispered.

there was a moment of silence until johnny spoke up.

"i can." he mumbled under his breath, just enough for us to hear him.

all the heads besides mine turned to face him.

"johnny," pony started, "what did you just say?"

oh god.

johnny no.

not now.

johnny started nervously looking around the room while picking at his fingertips.

i knew this day was gonna come.

johnny would slip up and end up telling the entire gang.

don't get me wrong, i love johnny and trust him with everything, but i knew one day he was bound to accidentally let it out.

everyone continued to stare at him as he awkwardly stood there and avoided the attention.

"okay then," soda said, "let's just worry about that later. how're you feeling now bella?"

i lifted my hand slightly and shook it to indicate i was feeling okay. not great, but not terrible. he nodded in response.

"do you want to go to your room?" he asked, leaning over above me.

i nodded before he carefully scooped his arms underneath me, with the help of steve, and carried me to mine and johnny's bedroom.

everyone else flooded into the room behind us and johnny laid on our bed with me.

everyone stood there for a second before most went back to their occupations in the other rooms. soda and johnny stayed.

"is there anything we can do to help?" soda asked, leaning against the door frame. he had a soft grin on his face, only to cover up his worry for my current state.

i thought for a minute if there was anything, anything at all that i could possibly need.

"did you grab my clothes from my house?" i asked. my voice was very hoarse and my throat was dry.

his grin widened at my question.

"yes ma'am, i did. they're in darry's truck still. do you want me to go get them?"

"don't worry about it." i replied, nuzzling my face into the cold pillow.

the room was silent and they both just stared at me. soda walked over to the bed and patted on johnny's shoulder, motioning for him to leave the room with him.

"c'mon johnnycakes," he said, "princess needs her rest."

johnny understandingly nodded in response as he got up from the bed.

"i'll be right back." soda called out walking away from the bed, "i'm gonna go ahead and grab the clothes anyway."

i nodded.

it's always the stupid clothes.

the clothes that i've needed for what feels like forever.

i kept putting it off for a known reason, but then i really needed them.

i really needed them after...

wait.

right before they exited the room i jolted up into a sitting position. they turned around to look at me while soda's hand was on the door handle.

"where's dally?!?"