Chapter 4: Wishes.

VERONICA

★VERONICA★

----

"why the hell are you up so early?" eva walked into the kitchen with her face still so full of sleep as she rubbed her eyes and tried to stifle another yawn.

"i have a interview today at nine" i sang happily and pulled my bread from the toaster.

"it's six am. you could've slept in a little longer"

still being able to make out the words even though they were muffled by her face being shoved into her arm, i grimaced.

"and risk waking up late? no way. its been five days of me being jobless. i am not missing this so i woke up early to shower, brush up on some stuff about the company and hopefully new boss. now im cooking so i dont go in on a empty stomach then ill change. wouldnt want to waste food on my interview outfit, you know?" i rambled, moving over to crack my eggs.

"your prepared and excited its cute but- its six am. you could've wait til at least seven" she groaned.

"no.. i was being as quiet as possible. how did you even wake up?"

"the smell of breakfast. are you making me any?"

"fatty" i snorted. "but sure. what plans do you have today?"

"im going to go do someone nails then taking bradon to meet my parents"

"already?" my eyebrows raised on their own accord.

"im still getting texts every single day" my best friend groaned. "i just want them off my back"

"be careful what you wish for" i poured my eggs into the skillet watching as it started to make big bubbles then turn white.

"i know" eva sat straighter. "i didnt mean it like that-"

"relax" i chuckled, "its not that serious. breakfast is almost done, though. finish the eggs while i get out my clothes" i walked off not missing the sad look on eva's face.

after a hour long steamy shower i went back to the kitchen and saw everything cleaned up with a yellow note stuck to the microwave.

'sorry for earlier. food in here. i went back to sleep'

i laughed and pressed thirty seconds to warm up my food then leaned on the counter to look at more things about my boss.

today is going to be a good day.

★★★

"your hired"

"wait what?" i gaped like a fish at my boss not expecting to be hired on spot.

"your hired" she repeated. "you've had years of experience. your old boss seems to love you. i think you got what it takes. i want you to be here tomorrow by nine am. if you are any later than that it will affect how i see you from then on. ill send you the details of your job via email"

still in shock i just sat there staring at the woman who had a calm face.

when i walked in i knew what i was expecting but the google pictures didnt do her enough justice.

she is... gorgeous. with her short black hair, receding jawline and seducing brown eyes that were staring at me the entire interview. it made me nervous the entire time. i may have sweated a little.

it was pretty embarrassing to be this nervous though. her heart-shaped lips would twitch every now and then as if my obvious nervousness amused her.

"i-thank you" i sputtered but luckily still said it instead of sitting there stuck on stupid. "im so glad for this opportunity, i wont let you down, miss"

"please, call me maven and i hope not" the first smile during the entire interview spread across her lips causing my heart to nearly stop pounding.

i stood up but stopped moving when she began talking again,

"how is your relationship with your parents?"

"im sorry how is that revelant to my job?" i asked politely. i tilted my head to look back at her as a sign that she has my attention.

"my assistant before last, parents came up here cursing at me for a simple misunderstanding. i wish for that to not happen again" she folded her arms in front of her with a neutral expression.

"it wont. my real parents died when i was born, at least thats what ive been told and my adopted parents died when i was nineteen due to old age" even when i said that, her face only dropped a little before going back to before.

"sorry for bring up such a touching subject then. im just cautious"

"understable ma'am" my lips curled into a smile.

"maven" she corrected once again making me smile even wider.

i walked away feeling good and silently cheered to myself.

i nailed that and im on first name bases with the boss! i wonder if everyone else is too though...

once i was out of the office i began walking and pulled out my phone to send eva the good news. shes gonna be so happy for me-

"ow" i hissed as i knocked into someone. they made the same sound of pain as both our phones fell to the floor. "oh no.." i whispered reaching down to pick up my phone and theirs. lucky neither was cracked.

"here you go. im sorry for bumping into you" i apologised. my breathing hitched when i made eye contact with bright enticing brown eyes.

they creased beautifully when she smiled at me. "veronica, right?" the unknown woman who apparently knew my name- held out her hand.

i hesitantly shook it, confused by how she knew me.

"right. do.. i know you?"

"i suppose not. im the co-owner of this company, harley. im the one who reviewed your file and suggested you be selected for an interview" the brown haired woman smiled prettily at me.

"oh! thank you so much! i just got hired" i shared happily.

"really? well then, i looked forward to seeing you more" she looked down at me.

did she just...?

i chuckled nervously. "like wise. i have to get going but ill see you soon ma'am"

"have a nice day, veronica"