Chapter 11: Emergency?

★VERONICA★

flowers.

there was only one time i was gifted flowers and that was two years ago by this girl i had been dating since i was twenty.

she surpised me. i had just got home from work and walked in the house to the lights being off but candles lit. i asked her what was going on when she placed the flowers in my hand with a sweet kiss then she lowered herself to one knee.

a diamond ring. it was shiny. beautiful. probably wouldve looked amazing on my hand that had red almond shaped nails at the time.

i said no, though.

later that night she packed all of her stuff and left without a word. i havent seen her since.

sometimes i regret my choice of saying no because we couldve had a family by now but other times, times like now.. i dont.

because the flowers on this table were much more prettier than hers. they were my favorite— lavender. they smelt divine and looked just as pretty.

but the signed name that came with it gave me a shock....

"veronica leave your lovelife at home. this is your work place" maven said through gritted teeth making me come back from my thoughts.

"oh um maam-" she backed her way back into my office and gave me a 'what the hell do you want' face. "to my suprise and much more to um yours.. these are from your sister" the shock on her face was the exact same one i had been sitting with for the past ten minutes.

i mean flirting was one thing but gifting me flowers? what did harley think she was doing?

"well do you like them?" maven asked making me more shocked. is that all she had to say?

"well, yes. they're my favorite. maybe she went out on a limb.. i dont know but i love lavender flowers"

"oh okay.." she trailed off seeming deep in the thought, "well okay you better put those in a vase. wouldnt want them to die now would we?"

i shook my head no slowly, still stuck with confusion. the fuck was going on with these two?

"back to work after you vase them" she demanded and left without another word.

they are umm.. very odd.

the next day after a restless night i came into my office to a small box in the middle of my desk, wrap in purple paper.

"harley, what did you get now?" i huffed out loud to my self and sat my purse down on the small sofa in my office.

i walked over to the present and quickly unwrapped it. my eyes widened when i saw it was tiffany & co.

i opened the box to a note on top of what seemed to be a necklace.

'a necklace for a pretty woman' - maven ♡.

i gasped in shock and covered my mouth at the signed name. i moved the note to see it was a heart necklace with a gold chain, inside the heart being my first intial.

this is... beautiful. first flowers from harley that sat healthily at the corner of my desk to an expensive necklace with my intial engraved in it?

i see what their doing but why wont they say something instead of wasting money?

★★★

just getting home i kicked off my shoes and flopped face first into bed, grabbing my phone so i could tell eva all about the gifts but before i could i saw i had two missed calls from jed so i decided to call him back first.

"hello?" worry seeped into my tone when greeting him.

"hi" jed responded back sounding completely fine for someone who had called twice as if it was a emergency. im kind of confused.

"are you okay? you called twice?"

"oh yeah i was just bored and wanted someone to talk to. i thought you werent around your phone so i tried again a few minutes later in case you were back at your phone" he explained calmly and started munching on chips in my ear making me snicker quietly.

"i was at work you know... where you were supposed to be today"

"ohhh i came down with a cold. yeah they dont go easy on anyone man. ive got like a week off.."

"i hope you feel better. would you like me to come by with some soup and cough syrup?" i rolled over on my back and looked at the ceiling, smiling lightly when i thought back to the gifts they were trying to impress me with.

will there be something tomorrow? its kind of making me happy for work and thats something ive never said before.

i wonder if they call each other and brag about the other getting me a gift and if they argued about who's i liked more. which i like both of their gifts even though i think its a bit much.

especially maven's. thats actually real real money. harley's was like ten bucks so i hope harley doesnt try to out do maven and go for a higher price.

as much as i like them im not going to let them waste their money just to impress me.

"V? you there?"

"oh! yes what did you say?" i blinked, rolling back onto my stomach and switching the phone to the other ear so i could rest my head down.

"you dont have to bring the cough syrup but id really like some soup"

"im on my way just send your address"

i guess ill just tell eva about the gifts on my way to his place.