Chapter 13: Cute.

HARLEY

"so i hear my girls have been fawning over you" mom said with a sneaky smile.

i choked on the roast i was chewing.

"ma!" maven and i hissed at the same time: not expecting that. dad minded his business off to the side gobbling down his salad like a madman.

veronica giggled not even reacting in a shocked way. "ive um, ive noticed.."

"you dont say" mom sipped on her wine obviously enjoying this while i looked down to hide my smile. so shes noticed huh?

"i kind of noticed but the gifts were just the tip of the iceburg. lovely gifts by the way, thank you"

we both muttered you welcome quietly and ate some of our foods.

"i see your wearing the necklace" i looked at her neck and indeed, it was nestled just a little under her dress.

jealousy flared in my chest knowing i got her some measly flowers and nothing she could walk around with. maven on the end looked proud.

dinner grew quiet as we just ate our food. the air in the room was light and calm.

i looked over at veronica and saw she slowly put the food into mouth then patted her lips dry. i furrowed my eyebrows and leaned over so i could whisper in her ear,

"are you trying to eat cute?" i asked seriously, "because if you are i promise we dont judge. you can eat freely"

veronica snickered making me confused. "as much as i appreciate that im not trying to eat cute"she looked at me sideways, "im wearing white and dont want to drop anything"

"that makes more sense" i whispered back making her laugh. i smiled at that and moved over to my own space. looking up i caught the eye of my sister who looked back to veronica's lap then at me again.

i looked down and saw my hand still resting there. i smirked and gave her thigh a squeeze. veronica didnt react but maven rolled her eyes.

"girls" mom called out making us all look up. dads plate was empty minus the ranch while mom still had some food left over. "were going to get going. your momma needs a relaxing bath and foot rub" she smiled.

"right now?" i furrowed my eyebrows.

"yeah mom the foot rubs can wait" maven added.

she folded her lips at us and gave a really subtle glance to veronica who was looking at her own plate when she realized my mom was calling out to us and not her too.

i caught the hint remembering that earlier she said she'll leave us to be alone with veronica for a few.

it seemed as if maven didnt catch that because she kept going, "just stay for a little longer. at least for desert"

dad decided to take a jab at hinting because his dummy of a daughter wasnt understanding. "i want some alone time with my wife. maybe you three could just eat desert, the night doesnt have to be ended" he winked.

maven mouthed 'ohhh'. mom nodded as if praising her for finally catching on.

"ill walk you two to the door" i offered and stood up.

we stood by the door as dad helped mom shrug on her coat since it was a little chilly outside.

"you girls be good and treat her right" mom said sternly, lifting her left foot so dad could put on her sneakers.

i tucked my hands in my pockets. "you dont care that we both are going to try and pursue her? at the same time?"

mom looked at me with confusion. "no darling its not a big deal. are you and maven going to be touching eachother—"

"ew mom no!" i gagged.

"honey maybe not so far" dad quietly laughed and moved to the other foot. "they dont even like to hug each other, incest is off their radar trust me"

"then theres no problem" she giggled probably feeling the effects of wine settling in. "both of your attention will be focused on that beautiful girl in there. i think its wonderful she has my two sweet girls pinning after her" she cooed.

"dad i think shes drunk"

"just a smidge" he shrugged. he stood up once he got done putting on her shoes. "this bath will calm her down"

"are you getting in with me honey?" mom leaned over and pressed a big sloppy kiss to his lips. he didn't even make a effort to keep up and just pushed her back softly.

"yes love but we have to make it out this door first"

i stood there awkwardly with my lips folded. "well you two get home safe okay? i love you"

"we love you too darling. let your sister know we said so as well"

i nodded and opened the door for them. dad held mom by her waist as they walked to the car. i waited for them to get in, waving my hand even if they didnt see then shutting the door.

huffing i went off to the kitchen to take the pie out of the freezer for desert.

those two in there have been oddly quiet. even as i strain my ears now to hear them, i dont.

what are they doing? i quickly finishing unwrapping the pie then grabbed two plates and went back to the dining room.

i honestly expected them to be doing something other than quietly giggling amongst each other like two school girls.

"what are you two laughing about?" i ask with a smile, placing the pie in the middle of the table.

i noticed all the other plates were gone and assumed maven threw them away while i was talking to our parents.

"oouu pumpkin pie! i love that" veronica squealed making me grin.

"your college days" maven answered my previous question.

"no thats embarrassing"

i started cutting into the pie so that the jittery woman sitting beside me would get her slice already.

"i know thats why we are talking about it" my sister winked evilly.

"your horrible"