Chapter 12: Betrayal.

HARLEY

♡HARLEY♡

————

"and you both like her?" she asked for the third time while looking at us with confusion and worry.

we both nodded already having been asked this two times before. i didnt like that maven also likes veronica but i couldnt control her feelings so here we were, talking to our mother about it like two friendless goons when we really do have friends.

our mother was just... there. and at some point she was a therapist back in her day so thats a plus.

"well invite her for dinner!" she clapped excitedly.

"what?" me and maven both asked at the same time.

"no thats would be disastrous" i stated not believing she suggested that.

"what if shes say no?"

"im with harley on this one" dad jumped in on the conversation, coming from the kitchen with a beer in his left hand and a donut in the other.

mom sent him a scolding look considering he knew he was supposed to be eating better. he already has a beer belly no need to add diabetes to the list.

maven whined, "dad!" she sent him a look of betrayal.

"im just saying, honey. you both like her. being in the same room with her? your going to start arguing like two ten year olds"

"no we know how to act around her dont we?" maven nudged me. i side eyed her not liking that she dug her elbow into my side.

"kind of.. i mean we nearly tore her apart because we didnt want each other touching her"

"okay that doesnt count. we're more mature than we were five days ago" maven huffed. "whatever im going to invite her whether its a good idea or not. she needs to know i like her"

"you mean more then she already knows because you gifted her a five-hundred dollar necklace?" mom said and sipped her wine.

"five hundred?!" my jaw dropped. this was news to me. "my flowers was like ten bucks!" maven snickered making me glare at her. "i have to step up my game.." i added in a whisper to myself already starting to think about something much more expensive then that necklace.

"girls why are you wasting money like that just for this girl?" dad asked with boredom. "words are much more precious than any amount of money"

"i wouldnt say that but somewhat.." mom said looking at him through the side of her eye making me giggle.

he pushed her in a gentle playful way. "im just saying dont go spending thousands and thousands of dollars. what if she doesnt like you but only gets with you because she sees yall are spoiling her?" he raised a eyebrow.