Ch. 17 ✨Nightmare✨

*Y/N's POV*

When night had come and I fell asleep, I didn't see Alastor, or the normal forest area we meet.

Instead, I found myself in the era of 1920s, in a little building where music plays, and people dance.
My hair was tied up in a bun, and when I looked down, I saw I was not wearing my PJs, but instead, a beautiful dark red skirt with a black blouse.

My eyes scan the crowds, until I see someone sidestepping through everyone to get to me.
He seemed familiar...like I've known him for a very, very long time...and yet, I can't recall his name.

When he approached me, I got a closer look at his face. His slim, tan colored face with dark brown eyes and dark brown hair that slightly falls over his forehead and glasses.

He's dressed in a white button up shirt with brown suspenders, and black boots.
"There you are," he smiles at me, a smile that seems so familiar to me, taking my hand in his, "come, let's dance before its over."

He leads me to the middle of the dancefloor, before slowly, we whisk away into a slow dance, much like everyone else around us.
I glance left and right, noticing how all the people, the sound, it's all slowed until they're damn near frozen in place.

The only one's who are moving, are me and this...man.

I look up at him, feeling his hand slightly touch my cheek, tucking some hair behind my ear.
"You look beautiful," he says softly, breath blowing across my face.

My heart rate speeds up.

I stop dancing, letting his hands go, looking around at everyone and everything, who now have suddenly gotten much louder after being quiet.
"Who are you?" I ask, but my voice isn't mine, it's someone else's...another girls voice. She sounds slightly southern, smooth, and soft.

He only smiles at me, not saying a single word, before the scenery around us changes, shifting into us standing in the middle of a street.

His calm, composed face changes to a fearful, desperate expression.
And suddenly, the soft music and peoples laugh's change to the sound of gunshots and screams.

Panicked, I look around, only to see that we are alone in this street, there is no one around. No people, nothing, but I can hear the screams, hear the gunshots.

I try to take a step forward, before I find myself collapsing on the ground, only for the man to kneel in front of me, taking my shoulders in his hands in a firm but gentle grip.

My stomach feels warm...and it stings. It burns so much it forces me to look down, only to see blood stain my clothes.

I look up at the man. "Please, please help me," I whisper, feeling my life being sucked away with each second.
When I had looked up at him though, half of his face wasn't human...

Instead, the other half of his face was pale, with a red eye, and red and black hair, with a wide, smile on his face.

My eyes widen.
Alastor...

Suddenly, I feel a slice of pain, which forces me to fall completely down on my side, breathing heavily, as the man just stays kneeled beside me, hands on my shoulders.

Everything begins to blur, my vision slowly going in and out, but faintly, I hear the desperate cries of a voice...
His voice.

"No, no please! Don't die, Elizabeth...don't die!"

Elizabeth?
My name isn't Elizabeth, it's Y/N.
But...who is Elizabeth?

Suddenly, everything goes black, and the man is gone, and I lay alone in the dark abyss.
The pain in my stomach is gone, and I find myself sitting up, before I notice a mirror hovering in the air twenty feet away from where I sit.

I rise to my feet, running to approach it, before I gasp at what I see.
My face...this isn't my face!

I'm someone else, with short H/C and bright E/C, my skin slightly sun kissed with rosey cheeks and a round face structer.
I stare at the mirror in complete shock, before I notice the man appear behind me.

The man who had danced with me, who had kneeled at my side...

I flip around in an instant, only to see that he isn't actually standing behind me.
Hesitantly, I look back to the mirror, and there he is...

My eyes widen.

I watch as he raises a hand, touching my shoulder before kissing me on the neck softly, murmuring these four words that leave me breathless.

"I love you, Elizabeth..."

I gasp, stepping back before I feel myself hit a firm but soft body behind me.
I turn, and I see Alastor standing there. The Alastor I know...red and black suit, microphone staff in hand, and a monocle over his eye.

"Alastor," I breathe, panic seizing my chest, "wh-what's happening? Wh-why do I look like this? Why do they keep calling me Elizabeth?"

He smiles softly. "You are Elizabeth, my dear," he raises a hand and touches my face."You're my Elizabeth..."

Fear floods my chest as I take two steps back, before I fall to my knees when I hear a ringing sensation vibrate through my skull.
I throw my hands over my ears, gritting my teeth as the noise only gets louder.

Faintly... I hear faraway voices speaking. Some words I can't hear, others, I hear clearly.

"...reborn...."
"...save him..."
"...Elizabeth..."

★★★

My screams drag me out of my nightmare, forcing me to sit up, panting heavily as my eyes adjust to the dark lighting of my apartment.

I quickly run out of my bed to the bathroom mirror, relieved to see that I'm back to my normal self.
Relieved, but unsettled.

I go to the bathtub and sit on it, knees wobbling, head pounding, sweat running down my face.
That wasn't a dream...but a nightmare.

I raise a hand to where my head hurts most, trying to replay the dream.
Why did that happen? What could have caused a dream like that to happen?
Who was that man...

Slowly, realization sinks in, which makes me throw a hand over my mouth in shock.
He was Alastor...but he was human, he was the Alastor before he died and became a demon...

But who was I?

The name Elizabeth keeps repeating in my head, making my hands shake.
Reborn...one of the voices said reborn.
And in my dream, Alastor seemed to have...loved her.
And in my dream, the demon Alastor called me 'His Elizabeth.'

My hand falls away from my head.
Was that not a nightmare at all, but instead, a vision of Alastor's past?

Did he do that? Did he give me that vision? Or did he not?

I rise to my feet and go back to my bedroom.
Could Alastor have the answers to my questions? Could it be that Alastor knew someone named Elizabeth in his past when he was alive?

Only one way to find out.
I lay back down and shut my eyes.