Chapter 24

He pressed the button, Kat noticing the marked lack of the pinging beep, and the door slid open right away to reveal a miniaturized version of the building elevator, just large enough for three people if everyone didn't mind bumping shoulders. Kat and Jove stepped in easily, still space between the two of them, and Jove pressed one of the only two floor buttons on the panel. G.

"Garage," he explained as if he again knew her thoughts before she verbalized them. "O is office. I'm the only one who uses this elevator and these are the only two places I like to go, so,"

Kat nodded, still thinking about the young woman at the door. Jove smiled.

"We barely escaped. My dad sent his goons. His assistant," he clarified when Kat cocked her head.

So, it wasn't a girl he was sleeping with come to pay him a courting call, it was just his dad's assistant looking for him. Although that doesn't mean, Kat reminded herself. That he hasn't slept with her. You heard the tone she called for him in.

"You wanna see something cool?" he asked, ignoring her abrupt morse silence.

The doors opened to reveal a veritable sea of cars, all polished and waxed to a gleaming shine. Kats jaw dropped as she looked around, her pointed lack of car knowledge no hindrance in understanding the hundreds of millions of dollars parked all around her. Convertibles, sleek two door cars (some of which she she recognized as Ferrari due only to the brand's signature horse), a row of cars that looked like Jeeps but had the Mercedes logo instead, what seemed to be a legitimate race car, even some strange, fancy looking buggy of some sorts parked in the far back.

Jove looked at her expectantly.

"That one looks like the Batmobile," she offered, pointing to a sleek black two door with a bulbous glass top like a spaceship.

"It drives like it too," Jove promised, stepping over to pat the alienesque vehicle. "Czinger 21C, 1.7 million."

"You spent 2 million dollars on a car?"

"I mean," Jove laughed. "With tax, yea."

"How much was this one?" Kat demands, turning at random and pointing to the first car she saw. It was a gold, buggish looking car, solid and thick but with a face like a fly in Kat's opinion.

Jove laughed again. "You have good taste," he conceded with a shrug. "That's one of my favorites, it's the Bentley Bacalar."

"Bentley, I know Bentley," Kat chimed in. "So, expensive."

"Very. The Bacalar retailed at 1.9 but they were snatched up before I could get my hands on one, I had to purchase from a collector at 2.3."

"2.3 million dollars for a car?"

Jove grinned devilishly. "2.5 with tax."

"Oh my god," said Kat, suddenly wanting to sit. "There have to be 40 cars down here, did you spend a million dollars on all of these cars?"

Jove waved a hand dismissively. "Nothing like it. Most of 'em," he thinks. "200k or less. You just happened to pick some of my favorites." He studied her with that same unreadable look. "Like I said, expensive tastes."

"I do not have expensive tastes," Kat argued. "I just pointed out the weird ones. And rich people like weird stuff."

"Oh yea?" challenged Jove with a laugh. "And what makes you say that?"

"It makes sense, doesn't it?" Kat pressed. "You can afford everything good, even the uncommon stuff, so you have to start inventing new stuff to want and making it insane prices just to satisfy yourselves. A guy who's probably a multi-millionaire designed a weird car that doesn't look like any other car so that a billionaire can pay for other billionairess to know he's a billionaire, nobody else even recognizes the car. It's weird."

"You're smart," said Jove, and her face flushed at the same compliment Jack had given her, the memory of their supremely awkward, semi silent date the week before contrasting unconsciously in her mind with the easily flowing conversation she was sharing with Jove.

She cringed at the comparison, forcing herself to remember who Jove was, where they were standing. They were in what could easily be called a monument to his excess, the millions of dollars in vehicles around them going to waste as one man could never drive them all.

"You have too many cars," she replied a bit sullenly.

Jove was unperturbed by her attitude and walked towards the first car she'd pointed out, expertly opening the strange latching door and sliding inside. "Come on," he said, as if the fact that she'd follow was a forgone conclusion.

"Where," she called.

Jove rolled his eyes then leaned over and opened the passenger door from the inside, beckoning her. "Do you see anywhere else to sit in here?" he teased. "Just sit down Kat."