Chapter 94

Kat shook her head. She had no idea how things had become this way, had devolved so fast. She was talking with Jove about his security team, his military train goons, searching for and capturing Andy. She was discussing it because she wanted it to happen, wanted it badly. Andy had done more than made a bad choice that resulted in Connor's death, she'd purposely put both Emma and Jack in jail, knowing her feigned confession would essentially guarantee that they served time. And Brent, murderously angry Brent, was with her.

"I just don't like it," she said finally.

"I know," Jove murmured sympathetically. "I know. Like I said, if she's in the city they'll find her. 72 hours or less."

"She could be trying to escape." Kat pointed out.

"And if she is, then she's gone," said Jove. "If she makes it out of the country somehow, there's no way she'll be able to get back, not without someone that works for me hearing about it. She has no passport. She's not going anywhere."

"I think she has my phone," said Kat.

Jove fixed her with a strange look.

"I'll get you another one," he offered.

"No, it's not that I wanted the phone, I just. I'm just wondering why. I really don't like this."

"You're with me," said Jove, drawing her close to his body. "You're safe. I'm gonna keep you safe."

Kat slept for a few more hours, her head injury still making her dizzy when she thought about anything for too long. She awoke to falling dusk and the low burble of voices from the tv, Jove's warm body still next to hers.

"Hey," he said once he saw she was awake. "How are you feeling?"

Kat stretched, testing the pain in her neck when she moved her head back and forth.

"Better," she replied after her brief assessment.

"Good," said Jove, pulling her closer to him.

Her eyes focused on the tv, the city's premier news station with a microphone equipped reporter standing in front of the Tillibenton building, gesturing to it.

"News won't shut up about it," said Jove with an eyeroll, gesturing to the screen. "There are about 5 different stories circulating right now, and the one getting the most traction is that someone tried to assassinate me.

He frowned. "Don't you have to be a politician for that?

Kat sat up quickly.

"I need to call my mom," she intoned seriously remembering all at once that she'd forgotten to go to Spatchy's when she said she would and her mother had no way of contacting her otherwise, no way to know she was alright after yesterday.

"Here," said Jove, handing her his phone. "Do you know the number?"

She nodded, the unchanged number to Spatchy's the very first phone number she'd memorized, with either her mother, or someone who could go get her, always reliably on the other side of the line.

She dialed quickly, her hands shaking, and raised the phone to her face.

After two rings she heard "Spatchy's" in Martha's chirpy customer service voice and could've cried, cried at the familiarity, cried at the heavy emotions that had been weighing on her since this whole ordeal began.

"Mom, it's me," said Kat, willing herself to sound normal.

"Kat? Kat what's wrong," her mother asked instantly, seeing right through her although she couldn't see her.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm ok, I just. I'm just calling cause of what happened at work."

"Were you there? Are you ok?"

"Really mom, I'm ok," Kat reiterated. "I'm just really tired. I'm staying with,"

She stopped shooting Jove a look.

"I'm staying with a friend. And I'm safe."

"Kat," her mother said wearily. "Maybe you should come home."

"I cant right now, I-"

"Kat," Martha said firmly, cutting her off. "I'm your mother. And I've been through some things, more than you'd think." Her voice dropped. "You need to come home. Tonight."

"I really should-"

"Kat," her mother interrupted again, saying her name as if she were taking an oath. "You need to come home tonight. Right now. As soon as you can. I have to tell you something." She sighed. "Maybe I should've told you a long time ago. Just come, hurry. I love you."