Chapter 93

Kat sat cross legged on the bed as Jove needled favors from his phone, her mind racing as she half listened to his conversations.

"I can't get a visit," said Jove, crossing back over to her. "But she was out at yard and the warden owes me a favor."

He gestured with the phone.

"He said you have five minutes."

"She's-" Kat began, then changed her mind and grabbed at the cellphone, pressing it to her ear hungrily.

"Emma?" she said, her voice already cracking with tears.

"Kat," Emma replied in an equally emotive voice. "Kat, I can't do this."

"Emma," Kat repeated, the tears now flowing freely. "Emma, I'm gonna get you out of there, I swear. I swear I will."

"I miss Conner," Emma bleated. "I can't do this."

"Emma, I'm gonna come see you as soon as they let me. I love you. I'm so sorry, I'm so so sorry."

Emma sniffled.

"They got Jack too," she said

"I know," said Kat. "I know, I'm going get you both out of there, the second I can."

"Kat?" Emma asked, the sadness enveloping her words making Kat want to scream.

"Yea?" she responded quietly

"Kat, I think Andy turned us in. and I think. I think I know why."

Her voice dropped several notches.

"I don't know what I can and can't say here, but she asked us to help her. She had a plan, a plan to get to Jove, and it was bad, it was really really bad. I don't think she's in a good place, and I think. Just, be careful Kat."

"What did she ask you to do?"

"She wanted us to help her. Brent wanted to do it but we didn't and then I woke up and they were gone and Jack and I were in handcuffs."

She started to cry again.

"They separated us. I haven't seen him in hours, since we got here. Kat," she said, her voice barely discernible. "I'm scared."

Kat's face cracked but she tried to keep her voice steady.

"I promise Emma, I'm getting you out the second I can. They're gonna set your bail soon, and Jove's gonna pay it. And I know you don't like him but he's not what you think, I swear. He's gonna switch to the solar microgrids, he said he would've done it if I had asked. He wants to help us, ok? And he's gonna get you the best lawyers, and the best lawyers for Jack, and everything will be ok."

She looked at him for confirmation and he nodded heartily.

"Everything will be ok," she reiterated.

Emma sniffled.

"Ok," she whimpered. "The guy wants the phone back."

Kat nodded, tears still spilling onto her cheeks despite her best effort.

"Emma, it's ok." Kat rushed out, hoping her friend could still hear her. "Everything is gonna be ok."

The line went dead just as she finished speaking and Kat allowed herself to fall apart, the forlorn, broken voice of her best friend too much for her to take.

"It's ok," said Jove, comforting Kat as she'd just comforted Emma. "It's ok. Everything you said was true, they'll be right out. My lawyer handled the mayor's hit and run, I wouldn't be surprised if they only got community service."

Kat looked up, her tears temporarily stilled by the outlandishness of Jove's statement.

"The mayor had a hit and run?" she asked.

"Exactly," said Jove with a wink. When the bails set I'll post them, nobody has to worry about a thing."

"Thank you," said Kat. "Thank you for everything. You've been so-. It's been a really weird few days."

"It's only been a day," Jove reminded her gently. "Everything happened yesterday. It's not weird for you to feel overwhelmed."

"I don't feel overwhelmed. Kat retorted. "I feel worried."

She wiped at her eyes with her sleeve again.

"I don't know where Andy is, and I don't know what she's planning, and I don't know how to keep us safe."

"You don't need to know that. I'll keep us safe."

"But you don't know Andy," Kat insisted. "You didn't see the look in her eye."

"Unless her looks are bulletproof, my guys are gonna handle it," said Jove. "I promise."