Chapter 28

A trip to the library where all 6 of them crowded around one computer yielded the shorthand's proper nomenclature; C-trained HVCAPSS, or high value corporate asset protection specialist shorthand. After Conner unearthed an unpopular reddit thread from a disgruntled employee, they were faced with page after page of acronyms and their meanings.

To the best of the group's understanding, the code was less a language and more a series of memorizations, and they each got their own computer and got to work, copying down acronyms like onto printer paper and explaining them in the margins.

HGL=high guard left, means supervising guard patrols in a counter clockwise pattern. GL6= guard level on floor, 6. TT23.5GRT= Thursday 11:30 guard rotation, thirds.

"This is endless," Brent complained.

"The more Kat has, the easier it'll be for her to read the handbook tomorrow," Andy reminded distractedly, copying down yet another translation. "Emma," she added pointedly.

Emma looked up from her magazine, guilty.

"I was just taking a little break," she muttered.

They'd been in the library for hours and closing time was approaching, but Andy and Kat had yet to slow in their pace, tearing through pages faster than the rest. Kat was beginning to feel as if she might almost understand the pseudo language at this point, attempting to guess the meaning of the acronym before reading and surprising herself with how often she was correct. Or, partially correct at least, as every acronym, the memorization of which the guards were apparently tested heavily on, had its own details and quirks, its own subtle differences or rearrangings that confused anyone but those who were certain.

"We do need a break Andy," said Conner. "And it's getting late. Nobodies eaten."

Andy looked up, her pride in Conner's responsibility pulling her from her task.

"You're right," she said, grinning at him as if he was still the overactive child she'd first met. "You're right. What do you want?"

Conner looked to Emma. "What do you want, Em?" he asked, and Emma giggled.

Kat furrowed her brow. Was it possible that in the time she's been going to Tillibeneton everyday Emma and Conner had grown closer? The group wasn't cliquey per say, but certain arrangements always seemed to occur. Conner and Brent obviously, Kat and Emma, Kat and Andy, just the boys, or all of them. Some combinations, like Andy and Jack, Brent and Kat, Emma and Conner, some were just unheard of, nonsensical. But there Emma was, grinning at him, the wild, hard edge that hid below even her happiest looks softened.

"I don't know," she responded, still giggling at nothing. "What do you want?"

"What's so funny about getting food," Brent interrupted, pushing his way into the conversation. "Let's get pizza. No, wait, let's get ramen."

Conner shot him a look.

"What?" Brent retorted reproachfully.

"No, no it's ok, yea let's get pizza," Emma conceded. "That sounds good. Kat you go, the guy at the good vegan place always gives you extra artichoke."

The group nodded and Kat stood, blinking under the fluorescent glare of the library light fixtures after staring at the blue screen for hours.

"Go with her, Jack," Emma offered casually. "She needs to stop at home first for the tupperware anyways, and it's about to be dark."

Conner nodded. "We'll finish up here and meet you at the den," he offered, turning to Emma for validation.

Kat stared at him, the difference in him more than just the way he was taking charge. There was an aesthetic difference as well, he almost seemed to glow from within, as if he were beaming. Light peaked from the slats of him, and Kat smiled to herself, realizing that the goof she had always been fond of was really in love. She didn't see how this could've happened right under her nose, but as long as Emma was happy, she was.

She flashed Emma a 'talk later' look then turned to go, realizing only when Jack stood to follow her what Emma had done. Another set up.

After the date she'd gone on with Jack, a makeshift lakeside picnic more awkward than she could possibly imagine, they hadn't been speaking much around the den. It wasn't as if they were avoiding each other, that was an impossibility, but they'd yet to discuss the date and certainly hadn't planned another.

Kat had been disappointed, but not exactly surprised. She had always been too nervous to go after guys she actually liked, guys like Jack. He was the full package, he was kind, and responsible, and hardworking, and...Emma was right. Kat thinks. That's not how you describe someone you have a crush on. That you're physically attracted to.

A flash of the dream danced across Kat's mind and she shook her head as if to physically loosen it, to rid it from her recollection. Jack had grabbed her hand on the walk home but she'd been too nervous to enjoy it, focusing more on ensuring her palms didn't sweat then enjoy the feeling of his hand around hers.

Emma knew all of this and wanted to give the shy lovebirds another chance, begging Kat to seek him out for a one-on-one hang out again. Kat couldn't be convinced, but apparently could be tricked, and she and Jack headed down the stairs of the library in silence, avoiding eye contact.