Chapter 92

By the time they were in the elevator on the way back to Jove's penthouse, he was typing again, responding to the messages he'd received during the short drive. The elevator dinged and they stepped directly into Jove's apartment, a luxury Kat felt she'd never get used to.

"I have to take this," Jove whispered, taking a few steps towards the kitchen as Kat went back to collapse on the bed, still exhausted despite her earlier multi-hour nap.

"Uh-huh," she heard Jove say. "Yea. Alright. Keep me updated."

He slipped the phone back into his pockets and turned to her.

"I'm sorry," he said. "My guy in the department confirmed PD got a tip and flipped the place, they arrested everyone that was there."

Kat held her breath, unwilling to believe what she'd heard.

"How," she whispered finally.

"They, uh."

Jove looked down and Kat felt herself beginning to panic, unsure what could make him look away like that, what information could possibly be so bad.

"They turned themselves in. Called the station and left a tip."

Kat's guilt instantly morphed to suspicion.

"They turned themselves in?" she repeated. "Wait, wait, they called?"

How was that possible? She had the den's only phone. She realized with a start that she didn't have it, that it had been inside her briefcase which was now gone.

Jove nodded.

"With a confession," he confirmed. "I guess only one of them spoke but the confession had both names so it may end up being admissible, I-"

"Both?" Kat blurted. "What do you mean, both?"

"Both of them, both of your friends," Jove reported. "The guy and the girl. The girl was the one who called but she told them that they were both there, that they wanted to surrender themselves. PD went and picked them up early this morning, they're already processing.

"Jove, there were four people in the den," she informed him breathlessly, realizing she'd never told him how many members FES had. "There were four people in the den, four."

Jove looked taken aback.

"They said they booked a Marquez and a Proci."

Emma and Jack. Kat sat up, her head spinning as it had been yesterday.

"No Fest?"

Jove shook his head.

"No Woodson?"

Jove shook his head again.

"And a woman was the one who called," Kat confirmed. "A woman confessed and said she was Emma?"

"I guess?" asked Jove. "Where are you going with this?"

"Jove, I think they're gonna try to kill you," Kat rushed out suddenly.

"What?" He said, blinking at the sudden change of subject. "Wait, what? Who?"

"Andy and Brent," said Kat. That's what she said right before I left, she said,"

Kat stopped, the thought too awful for her to finish.

"I think they're going to try and hurt you."

Jove nodded seriously.

"I know it's scary," he said. "But they couldn't get close, they wouldn't get the chance to try."

"Jove, don't, don't act all macho like that, just listen to me."

"I'm listening," he said.

"We need to talk to Emma. We need to figure out what happened and we need to figure out where Andy might be."

"You said last name Woodson?" Jove asked, typing. "Andy like Andrea?"

Kat nodded.

"I have my people on it, they're looking. Top priority. If she's in this city, we'll find her."

"Ok," said Kat, nodding. "Ok good. Can we,"

She paused, realized she was entirely unsure how jail time visits worked, how the arrest process worked for that matter.

"Can we go see them?"

"They haven't set their bail yet, but," he scrolled through his phone. "I may know someone. Let me see what I can do."