Chapter 105

Kat awoke to a steady beeping, at first thinking it was the sound of the elevator at Tillibenton headquarters. She tried to sit up and immediately found herself pushed back gently by familiar hands.

"Why is that always your first instinct," said Jove, his face the first thing that filled her returning vision.

She smiled, unsure if this was another dream, if she was in heaven.

"This is your third time trying to sit up, you know," teased Jove playfully. "Watching you sleep is a full time job."

"Jove?" Kat asked, as if it weren't clearly him in front of her.

He smiled.

"I told you it would be ok."

Kat immediately burst into tears, her headache renewing.

"Whoa, whoa, no crying, no crying," said Jove, standing to hand her one of the tissues on the rolling cart in the center of the room.

Kat looked around, discovering they were in a hospital room. Her chest was bandaged tightly and she had an IV line in her arm, more than likely the reasons she wasn't supposed to be sitting up.

"Where are we?" she asked.

"Saint Mary's Christian," Jove answered. "You got a little hurt while very concussed and very dehydrated." He glowered momentarily. "It was my fault. But everything's ok. You're ok now."

"What time is it?"

He glanced down at his watch.

"12:13," he said. "Pm," he corrected when Kat looked at him in confusion. "On Monday."

"Monday?"

"You needed to sleep. You kept waking up all delirious. Your mom is here," he offered into the silence. "She just went to get some lunch, she's gonna be so annoyed she missed the official wakeup," Jove chuckled. "She's hilarious."

Kat grabbed his hand urgently. "Jove," she said suddenly.

"What?" he asked quickly. "Are you ok? Do you need something? I can call someone."

Kat shook her head, wiping at her tears.

"No, it's just," she said, staring into his impossibly perfect face. "I think I'm falling in love with you too."

Jove smiled, pleasure and confusion residing on his face in turn.

"When you said it," Kat explained. "I didn't say it back, but it's true. It's always been true. And when I thought I was going to die and I realized I hadn't told you..."Kat let her words trail off.

Jove smiled at her fully now, his eyes full of light and love, full of years of her future happiness.

"I love you too," he said. "I love you Kat," and leaned in and kissed her gently, so much unspoken, so much to be forgotten, and so much more to do.