Chapter 39

For the third day in a row, Kat pressed the up button of the lobby's elevator with renewed purpose, a feeling that bordered on excitement rising in her throat. She planned to go to Courtney right away after setting her briefcase in her office, figuring that the earlier Thomas's badge was disabled the better, giving him more time to get his replacement and put his old badge where it should be.

She studied herself in the elevator's mirrors as it rose, paying specific attention to her suit's alignment. She was in her favorite of the ensembles her mother had picked out, a pair of slim fit black work slacks and a matching blazer, both pleated crisply by the iron she and Andy were beginning to master. She wore a plain white button up that she felt flattered her figure and the same slim black shoes, but her hair flowed freely around her shoulders in loose waves, the time she'd taken on it that morning exceeding the entire past week combined. The lipstick from her first day was drawn carefully around her mouth, and a bit extra was again serving as a light rouge.

She knew exactly why she'd put that kind of effort into her appearance today. Didn't want to admit it to herself, but knew all the same. She wanted Courtney to see her as beautiful, as desirable, as more than the plain girl that would serve as no temptation for Jove. She wanted to show her up, plain and simple. But to prove what? That Jove would like her? She didn't care if Jove liked her, and she didn't care if Courtney thought he would or wouldn't.

I don't care, she told herself vehemently. I don't.

The doors dinged opened and Kat stepped through the threshold, immediately noticing the enormous bouquet of lilies that sat on her desk. She examined them, motionless. They were the most gorgeous flowers she'd ever seen, a near ethereal mix of madonna lilies, tiger, lilies, easter lilies, even strange headed, whimsical flowers she couldn't identify, other variations no doubt. Multiple shades of reds, pinks, purples, cream whites, and yellows burst forth, so plentiful they obscured the vase entirely. The bouquet was a hypnotizing swirl of near unnatural beautiful color, and the contrast of shapes and hues made her breath hitch in her throat.

"I was wondering what it would take to get your attention," came a voice from her left, and Kat turned with her eyes wide, too startled to make a sound.

Jove stood leaning in his doorway, her arms folded as he watched her.

"You like them?" he asked.

Kat fought to keep her jaw from dropping. Every time she saw him, every time she so much as thought about him, it was like being swept up in a wave, disorienting and overpowering, knocking her from her feet.

He lifted an eyebrow. "What, you don't like 'em? Am I gonna have to give you something else?" he asked, his deep voice perpetually suggestive.

"No, no," said Kat, finding her words. "No, I like them."

"I'm so glad," said Jove with a laugh. "Because they weren't exactly a gift." He grins at her. "More of a bribe."

"A bribe?" she repeated hesitantly.

"I need you to do something for me."

Kat bit her lip, unable to meet his gaze.

"You have a degree in English, right?"

She nodded.

"I need you to write something for me," he said. "A speech. It's for a stakeholder meeting with the members of the board of directors, a Ted Talk thing of sorts."

Kat nodded again, still barely taking in the fact he was actually here, actually in the office.

"It's about my life, my past a little bit, and the direction of the company. I'll mostly dictate to you, you just write."

He stared at her in the ensuing silence.

"Sounds good?"

Kat nodded weakly.

"C'mon then," he said, turning back to his office.

Kat's mind was too stupefied to race and her thoughts floated by slowly like clouds on a breezeless day. I'm not gonna be able to talk to Courtney, was the only one she was able to hold onto as she followed him into his office slowly, palms beginning to sweat.

"Do you wanna use my laptop?" he offered when they were both seated on opposite sides of his desk. "Here," he said before she could respond, turning it toward her. "Go ahead."

Kat looked up at him, unsure. "What do I write?" she finally asked.

Jove laughed. "You got me. I was hoping you'd know."

Kat smiled, the sound of his laughter still contagious in the face of her nerves.

"They just said memoir style, then they said make it like a ted talk." He frowned. "Actually, first they said 'just do it like your dad would do it'." He rolled his eyes. "Anyways, the board has been on me about this, I want it done well. Which is why I wanted you."

"What makes you think I'd do it well?" asked Kat, beginning to loosen up a bit.

Jove shrugged. "Something about those eyes," he said teasingly, and Kat blushed. He smiled, as if making her blush had been the goal and he was happy to accomplish it. "No, really. You just seem really smart Kat, I know you're smart. And you work hard, you have to to have gotten here"

Kat looked down, pleased.

"Plus, you're my assistant," he went on. "You said you'd do whatever I want." He paused, waiting for her eyes to slide back to his. "Remember?"

Kat, unable to speak, nodded in response.

"Well, this is what I want," said Jove coyly. "For now."

Kat nodded more firmly, intent on ignoring his flirting.