Chapter 60

Jove was still staring at her, eyes wide, and to Kat's shock began to nod.

"You're right," he said decisively. "No, you're absolutely right. I didn't really," he stopped, and Kat saw what she swore was a hint of color rising to his perfectly tanned olive skin.

"I'll go," he began, then turned before she could hear the rest of the sentence. "You order and sit," he called over his shoulder.

She watched him through the window as he approached the formally outfitted security who'd followed them there and were now standing guard on either side of Rises' creaking door, and, more relieved than she could quantify, approached the counter to place their order.

She ordered them both coffees and mushroom paninis, an FES staple, and rushed to her and Emma's favorite booth, eager to watch exactly what it was Jove was doing. He had finished talking to the besuited guards, both of whom nodded immediately, but to her surprise, he began to talk to the small crowd outside as well, quietly leaning down to speak to each person individually.

Several of the patrons smiled at him, one extended a hand for him to shake, and Sammy, a 70 year old regular who tickled Kat and Emma endlessly with stories of what she referred to as her 'hoe days', wrapped her thin, bony arms around Jove's waist. The security guard on the left held open the door, the one on the right entered first, and the remaining cafe customers filed back in with Jove leading the rear, the gleaming escalade still hulking reflectively on the curb.

As the cafe filled back up, some returning to their seats and others lining up at the counter, Jove slipped into the seat across from her, his grin restored.

"Better?" he asked.

"What did you do?" Kat asked suspiciously.

"I told everybody to come back in, I told them that I was sorry, and I told them that I'd pay for their food here for the next year."

"You told them what?"

"That I'd pay for their food here for the next year."

"That you'd- what? How are you gonna do that?"

"Owen is giving them a company card to put on file," he said, pointing to the register where the stoic, built man was still speaking with the barista. "They give their names, and whenever they come in, I'll pay for them."

"Jove," Kat began, unsure what to say.

"Better?" he asked again, laughing at her expression. "What did you get us?"

"I-," Kat threw her hands up, realizing that trying to rationalize Jove and his actions might do her in at the moment. "Coffee and sandwiches."

"Coffee and sandwiches," he repeated, still grinning at her.

Kat stared at him in disbelief. He was uninterpretable. Did he like her, or was this all some sort of game to him, some sort of amusement of entrapment that he was sure would end with yet another assistant bedded. Maybe he had read her better than she'd thought on their first encounter. Maybe he recognized that she wouldn't have fallen for him without some indication that he had feelings towards her, feelings he was now feigning just to get in her pants.

Was he just trying to impress her? Was he actually the kind of man who'd personally apologize, one by one, to everyone he wronged? To make it right without being told how? Or did he simply know that's the kind of man that she'd like?

"What?" he asked, his grin beginning to influence her own expression.

She fought the smile unsuccessfully, the concerns of her mouth turning down with effort.