Chapter 19

"Non fermarti per colpa mia. (Don't stop on my account.)" My voice is hoarse from the deep sleep I was in, as I stretch out underneath the covers. I keep my eyes open to watch Maya's naked back get covered by her shirt. She smirks over her shoulder when she sees me push up on my elbows, hoping she hasn't put any pants on yet. "Sorry to disappoint, my love. Hopefully the cup of coffee on your bedside table will make up for me being fully dressed." She turns around to lean against her dresser with her arms crossed over her chest.

The sleep leaves my body when I catch her staring at my exposed skin as the sheet slips off me when I sit up to grab my steaming cup. I moan in pure bliss from the first drop of coffee on my tongue and lick my lips a few times. Maya's eyes darken as she watches my every move. She tries to pull my attention back to her, but I just lift my finger up to silence her until I've had the whole cup in peace and quiet. I pout into the empty cup, quite upset that I've been denied every pleasure this morning.

Maya starts laughing at my theatrics before she walks over to me with her own cup in her hands. "I'll share mine for a proper good morning kiss." I make grabby hands at her cup, grinning from ear to ear when I see it's still more than half full. She sits down in the small space I create by moving my legs away. "I feel used. You were half naked in my bed when I came home this morning. I never even got a kiss and when I tried to say hi, you shushed me, wrapped yourself up in me and fell back asleep."

I take my time swallowing the sip I've just taken, trying my absolute best to fight my grin at her loving scowl. I honestly don't remember a thing after sneaking into her apartment late last night, but the twinkle in her eyes makes me think she didn't mind finding me in her bed when she came home. Not even a little. "Non fare il broncio. (Don't pout.) You've never had an issue with me in your bed before." I bite the rim of the mug, loving how her blush increases tenfold, as she looks me up and down. With a lustful look like that, I'm kind of happy that I opted to put on my underwear after slipping on her shirt.

To reward her for her impeccable restraint, I place my cup back on the bedside table, scooting closer to her. I rest my chin on her shoulder, loosely holding her around her waist as I stare into those well-rested baby blues. "Buongiorno, bella. I've missed you." She twists around to grab me behind my head to get that kiss she was denied earlier this morning. I lean in closer to her, throwing my one leg over her lap and bending the other behind her back without ever breaking away from her lips. She keeps the kiss soft and slow, humming into my mouth the longer it carries on.

I fight back the groan in the back of my throat when Maya refuses to deepen the kiss. These nice and tender moments were the only thing we've shared thanks to the fight we had a few nights back. Since the night my wife came knocking on my front door in the early hours of the morning, we haven't been able to spend all that many nights apart anymore. The bed we ended up crawling into depended on who's shift ended later. The end to Maya's latest 36-hour shift meant she came home in the morning, which was the only shifts we spent on our own.

I went home after my own clinic day, took a long bath, tried masturbating and then drove over to Maya's apartment to finish in her bed. That resulted in a multi-orgasmic marathon between sheets that smelled exactly like my wife, which pushed me over the edge again and again. Which is why I needed to take another shower, clean her sheets and go to sleep with her clothes on. It was supposed to be our first actual date night since our first, but due to Maya having one of her lieutenants committed, her schedule changed again, and the union added even more to her plate.

Maya's suspicions were correct, and Letham got diagnosed with Bipolar 1. Unfortunately, he only agreed to start treatment after a difficult conversation with my wife. She had to come clean with the union over her suicide attempt while on a call, which was the only way to keep Letham on the force. She now has to have mandatory psych evaluation once every three months to decide whether she's still mentally sane to stay on active duty.