Chapter 24

My stomach flutter as I watch Maya and Maddi play some kind of American football game with the men and Antonio, on the lawn below us. I kick my feet around in the clear blue swimming pool water while sipping on my third cocktail that Mrs. Devous had poured for us. "I want to have that man's babies, like you wouldn't believe." Dr. Handsy balances herself on my shoulder while she flops down next to me and Lara, humming when her feet sink into the heavenly cool water on what appears to be a severe heatwave during the late afternoon in Colorado.

"Haven't you only been together for a couple of months?" Isobel grabs hold of my thighs as she leans over me to shove Lara against the shoulder. "Like you're one to talk. You told me last night that you married your husband a full month after meeting him. Besides, with the way we haven't been able to keep our hands off each other these last few weeks, I'm kind of surprised my birth control is still working." Lara bursts out laughing with me, mumbling something about horny firefighters under her breath. 

Just talking about lusting after a firefighter makes my gaze travel back to my wife a few feet away. Maya lifts Antonio over her shoulder, stretching him out so he can fly in the air above her head. "Touchdown! Touchdown. Touch! Down!" My grin splits my face at how invested my wife is in celebrating the little boy's victory. "Oh, no. Oh, no, Tono. They're taking us down." We all whoop when Maya pretends to crash her favorite tiny human into Jack's arms. The two of them grabbing hold of a leg each, shaking the laughing boy until he begs for mercy.

"I don't have anything to worry about, right? I mean, I know they're just friends, but they do look like the family from the Little House on the Prairie over there." I bump the worried surgeon with my elbow, shaking my head at how similar we actually are. "You can relax, Handsy. Those two will never bump uglies again." Lara hits me in the stomach repeatedly, clearly shocked over learning about my wife's past. I'm just glad Jack asked for permission from me to disclose our entire past to his present girlfriend, so we can talk openly about this.

She looks at me skeptically when Maya jumps onto her ex's back, holding him in a chokehold when he doesn't want to give her the ball. "Isobel, I wouldn't have agreed to use Jack Gibson as our donor if I didn't trust the two of them fully. You have nothing to worry about. I have never seen him as happy as he's been since meeting you. He won't risk it." I smirk at her as every emotion flash through her eyes as she looks between me and our significant others before she lays her head on my shoulder. "I hate that I'm starting to like you."

I kick her feet in the water, laying my head on top of hers. "You're not so bad yourself, Langley. When you're not putting the moves on my wife, that is." She pinches me in the side, before we both start tickling Lara who has just heard parts of my past for the first time, being way too nosy. When we all pull away, I throw my arm over Langley's shoulder. "For what it's worth? If someone is going to give Jack the family he's always wanted, I'm kind of happy that it will be with you." Lara coos at us, celebrating the fact that we're actually all starting to become close friends before she hints that Isobel isn't the only one who wants a firefighter's babies.

"Finally! Someone who wants to give me more grandchildren." The three of us startle away from each other when Mrs. Devous places a tray filled with snacks on the table behind us, deliberately bumping into her daughter-in-law. "Sul serio, suocera? I have already given you two. Pick on one of your own children, per favore." I smile while chewing on a carrot stick and hummus at finally hearing my fellow Italian's accent so prominent.

She's lived in America since she's been a child and even though she can speak Italian fluently, her native language sounds more foreign than when I talk English. Maya has always teased me when I'd drink a little too much or had so many back-to-back surgeries that my accent was too thick for her to understand. Seems that Lara shares in that trait after a few of her mother-in-law's cocktails. For the first time, I'm grateful that Maya will be able to communicate with me in my mother's tongue later tonight when my English runs out.