Chapter 34

The group of firefighters, whose names were announced in their stations this morning, all make their way to the training grounds. "Pay up, guys. I told you Bishop was going to throw her own hat in the ring for LIC." Walker taps on the shoulder of the lieutenant in front of her before snapping her fingers in the rest of their faces for the bet they seemingly made. "Oh, the crème de la crop has jokes today." I hand my clipboard to one of the academy's instructors, happy that we've covered everything for the day.

The union replied to my changes almost immediately after I sent it out last night, asking me if I can run through the simulations with the fire instructor before the exam started. I almost missed it thanks to my insatiable wife who kept hitting snooze on my alarm this morning. "A few of us were a little surprised by the shortlist, Bishop." Gibson and Hughes come in for a quick hug, trying to sneak a peek into the gazebo behind me. I poke them in the sides, turning us around so they can't get tempted. Walker, Letham, and Hendricks join us, thanking me for choosing them too.

"Don't think you're getting any special treatment just because I like you idiots. I had no say in the final selection." While reporting on the progress of the project, I started mentioning the hidden talent within the various stations. Who either wasn't confident enough to back themselves, or who have been looked over for someone else. That's why every station was buzzing this morning when the calls went out to the captains. There was a lot of pushback when a few lieutenants got bumped off the list to give some of those talented firefighters a chance to prove themselves.

Hughes and two other firefighters are walking around like fish out of water, clearly shocked to have been asked to participate. "Try to relax, guys. The union saw something special in you and chose you for a reason. Just keep doing what you've been doing, and there might be a promotion at the end of it for you." All the other lieutenants try building them up too, which only solidifies how good the selection process was. Even with the thick atmosphere of competition around us, no one here is arrogantly trying to degrade the three firefighters with a lower rank.

"Seattle firefighters! Line up!" We all startle when Chief Ross's commanding voice roars behind us, immediately standing at attention. She stands on the raised staircase landing, on the edge of the training grounds, already back in a deep conversation with the union chief, battalion chiefs, and academy instructors. "I heard Sullivan was pissed when she refused to get his name on the list." Hughes whispers from the side of her mouth as she spills the beans to our small group. Gibson pipes in, mentioning Andy told him that her ex-husband tried his luck with her as well to put a good word in for him.

"Speaking of which, how accurate is the rumor that the union wants to give the LICs preference when a captaincy opens up? I heard Sullivan shouting about it over the phone when his name didn't get called this morning." Hendricks leans forward, excited to share in the gossip. We all roll our eyes, knowing we've not seen the last of him yet. The only person more obsessed with getting back on top than me is Robert Sullivan, which is going to be a lot harder since his relationship with our fire chief got made public, paired with the possibility that he'll need to make LIC before any other promotion.

"Lieutenant Bishop, I was under the impression that you have an agreement with the union. I believe you may be dismissed." I fight every urge to roll my eyes, instead standing at ease when the other firefighters on either side of me mumble under their breaths. Gibson winks at me as I pat them on the back for good luck on my way to the sidelines. Clearly, Sullivan isn't the only one upset over the choice of candidates, or she's trying to remind everyone of her rank seeing how a lieutenant organized this whole thing. Her only involvement so far has been to sweep in and take control over the exam today.

Battalion Chief Blackwell and Grimes shake their heads but bite back on saying something to their superior. Their protectiveness makes me smile up at them. "As a matter of fact, Chief Ross, I'm the one who invited Lieutenant Bishop to join us today." Union Chief Ackhurst steps up, inviting me to join them. I rush past the table with the scoring cards and clipboard before jogging up the stairs. But the union chief stops me when I start explaining the plan for the day ahead. "Relax, Lieutenant Bishop. We've all signed off on your revised plan last night. We have full faith in your ability to run the LIC exam."