Chapter 32

I cross my arms over my chest and admire my gorgeous wife's moves as she dances across the kitchen in nothing but an oversized shirt barely covering her ass. Maya starts singing along to the lyrics while swaying her hips like some kind of seductress, flipping the pancakes in the pan. I avert my eyes from the peachy flesh calling to me and look around the apartment in awe for the hundredth time. The make-believe beach she created somehow looks even more perfect with the sunrays simmering on the water in the daylight.

Whatever fleeting moment of doubt I had this morning when I woke up to an empty bed, quickly dissipated as soon as I heard movement in the kitchen. I'm still trying to put the past behind me and finding ways to calm my overactive imagination whenever I get triggered, is unfortunately the best I can do for now. Just like Maya's clouds coming back last night, my fears and worries haven't seem to vanish quite as well as I hoped. We're clearly far from perfect, but we're perfect for each other and that is enough.

I know our bond will only grow stronger and my kneejerk reaction won't always be to feel abandoned when I can't find Maya next to me. My wife has proven her devotion to me again and again by finding her way through her darkness in order to be better for me. Just like she had done last night when she trusted me to love her, while the voices worked overtime to convince her that she's unworthy. I still can't believe how amazing it feels to be invited past my wife's walls, even if she's terrified of letting me see what's on the other side.

After we both had another round between each other's legs, I wrapped myself around her naked body like a vine. I believed wholeheartedly that if I held her close enough that I could protect her from the clouds that threatened to steal her from me again. When I woke up alone, I thought they succeeded in making Maya run again, but she's so strong. What I wouldn't give to let her see herself through my eyes. To have her see how much she means to me, how much she's done to deserve the world. Every detail about last night was nothing short of perfect.

If my heart didn't already belong to her, walking into the apartment last night would have made me fall in love with her all over again. I honestly still can't remember the conversation Maya referred to last night and yet she savored every second of it to make my dream date a reality. She hated herself for not having the time to install the bathtub I asked her for, so she had the bathroom redesigned the day I somehow got her to give me a second chance. I told her how our apartment and bedroom felt haunted, and my wonderful wife evicted any ghosts that still had any hold on me.

If only she could see that she's more than enough for me in every way. Then maybe her body would be as exhausted as mine and she would have still been cuddled into me in our bed instead of twirling around the kitchen like a ray of sunshine. Cazzo. How is it possible that my hungry sex still yearns for her even when I'm incapable of crossing my legs without wincing. I lean against the doorway when Maya starts plating up, humming in pure serenity with her back still turned to me. Dio, sono così innamorato di lei.

"Buongiorno, amore della mia vita." She spins around while hitting the high note of the song, singing the bridge of the song as she walks towards me. Our lips mirror the same face splitting grin when she holds her hand out to me. I happily lay my own hand in hers, joining in on the song as she spins me around the room. "Good morning, sunshine." A gleeful squeal leaves my lips as her knee slips between my legs and she pulls me flush against her front with a steady hand on my lower back, just as her lips crash into mine.

I lick her lower lip, pulling a moan from the back of her throat as I seduce my way into her mouth. Her arms curl around my body in such a strong hold that I don't just lose my breath from her lustful kiss but also from the way her hands claw at my back. "You have way too many clothes on for our off day together." Maya barely whispers the words against my lips before she unties the knot of my robe. A predatory growl escapes her as she takes in my naked body while she unwraps me like a present. "Or maybe I should hold off on dessert until I feed you?"