chapter 14

His leg tapped incessantly, not even pressing his elbow down on it harshly stopped the quick beat.

Up and down.

Up and down

Up and

"Mr Powis, yes?"

The brunette glanced up, spotting Allison Argent and an old man standing in the doorway. He'd never seen him before, which he thought was weird considering he was the principal and well, he was always in trouble whatever the reason. Despite his kind seeming nature, the teenage girl beside him was scared, on edge. He could see it in her eyes before feeling it himself.

The man, however, was a merge of an overwhelming cockiness, power, intimidation, and an underlying fear.

Of what he didn't know.

But the power was different. Not like how he sensed it in Erica and Isaac after they turned. No.

"Great. Allison, why don't you go back to class now? Me and Mr Powis have a lot to discuss."

Practically shaking, the girl nodded and walked past him, giving the green eyed boy a look that said 'be careful'.

Odd.

What could an old man do to him?

After being led into the office, Levi sat in the chair opposite him, gnawing on his bottom lip to calm his nerves. With the man's eyes staring at him, he felt as if his soul was being torn into, an attempt to get him to reveal all of his secrets.

Something he could never do.

"Has anyone ever told you how much you look like your mother?"

His croaky voice startled him, but then again, so did the words.

"Excuse me?"

Gerard feigned an apologetic smile.

"Pardon my abruptness. It's just I'd never thought I'd ever be meeting her son in the future. Especially in these circumstances. Tell me, how is she? Last I heard she was getting married."

Levi frowned.

How did this guy know his mother?

And why was he acting like he didn't have any other intentions?

Beating around the bush is one thing, but this?

"She's fine."

Gerard leaned back in his chair, smiling. But in Levi's eyes, it was more of a smirk. An eerie, cocky smirk.

"Good. That's good. And did you... take after her?"

Deep down he knew what he was asking.

He just didn't want to believe it.

"I'm okay if that's-"

"You know what I mean Levi. You can feel it, can't you? Or have you yet to control it, hm? I bet, on your way here, you could feel my daughter in laws' intrigue of you. And my granddaughter's fear..."

"I don't know what you're talking about, sir."

He chuckled. It was forced.

Like everything else in this conversation.

He wanted something out of this, Levi just couldn't tell what.

"I babysat your mother for five years, you know. She was such a bright girl, so empathetic towards others. If I was having a bad day, she'd always know and find a way to make me feel better. It wasn't until her eyes turned green one day that I figured out what she was." Levi gulped deeply, his mind going numb. "We had a code. We hunt those who hunt us. Empaths are harmless if left alone. But in the hands of someone who knows how to control them..."