chapter 1

"I'm not getting in a car with her."

Lydia rolled her eyes.

"It's for five minutes."

"Five minutes too long. It's not happening."

Allison awkwardly stood at the side of the road, watching the two huddle in the middle of the doorway, whispering their argument as she waited.

"Then just stay home!"

Levi gave the brunette a glare from the corner of his eye.

"Will you still get my ice cream?"

The Martin girl huffed. "Fine."

"Thank you! See you in five minutes!"

He did not see her in five minutes.

It turns out his hatred of the huntress girl led him to missing out on an awkward encounter with the two boys he hadn't seen in two months, thank god, then a small car crash with a moose. 

Levi was shocked when Lydia came home with mascara running down her cheeks and her hands shaking violently, her emotions waving off like energy blasts from a nuclear power station. He  didn't even get a chance to ask what happened before she started telling him every last detail.

And now there they stood at school, once more.

The Powis boy did wonder what they were doing there. The pack, as Derek insisted on calling it last year, barely ever went to school. Steve Crawford and Ellen Ford had berated him for missing the last week of it, and constantly avoiding them when he knew they'd gotten a call from his dad asking him where he was.

Steven sat silently as his coworker gave a disappointed lecture to the boy, scanning his beaten figure and assuming it was his father who'd given him the limp, the black eye, the cut lip and was the cause of him holding his chest whenever he moved to quickly.

If they only knew...

But then it was summer.

And he was free.

Free to have that meetup with Stiles.

Or date...

He really hoped that was not the peak of his dating career.

Because god almighty was it a shit show.

"So..."

"So."

Stiles chuckled to himself nervously, his hands wrapped around the cup of coffee.

They sat on his bed, awkwardly looking at each other.

Their friendship suddenly seemed a lot less real now that they were actually putting pressure on themselves to see where it could go.

"I've never been on a date before. Especially with a-"

"A boy?"

His face dropped at the question. 

Even though that was exactly what he was going to say, it didn't sound right coming out of the boy's mouth. It almost sounded insulting. 

"Yeah. But that's not a bad thing. It's just different. I've spent my entire life pining for a girl who I stood no chance with."

Levi bit his lip, thinking back to Lydia and how excited she was to send him off with nice clothes and some aftershave so he could be his best.

"Yeah..."