chapter 16

"Good lizard... Good lizard."

Levi, heart racing and palms clamming up, took a step back, narrowly avoiding the lamp post behind him.

The Kanima hissed and snarled, inching closer with his sharp claws that made the boy gulp.

He looked around, wondering where everyone in Beacon Hills had suddenly left to. I mean, the one time you want people around and they disappear.

Sliding his phone into his pocket, the brunette hesitantly backed away from the beast, not breaking his stare from its yellow beady eyes.

He smiled at it, trying to calm his nerves.

"I'm just gonna... Go. Somewhere. You can I don't know, do whatever it is you wanna do."

Levi grimaced at his own words, still walking away when he bumped into something.

Quickly, he turned around, seeing a familiar looking boy standing behind him, a look of fear on his face as he spotted the creature on the ground.

Tracing his mind for where he knew this boy from, there was only one explanation.

School.

He remembered the day he'd first spoken to Jackson, the blue eyed boy who sat on the other side of him.

Strangely, he hadn't seen him since.

Not until now anyway.

"Holy shit... What the fuck is that?"

Levi pursed his lips, glancing between the pair.

"Uh, hard to explain. Either we back away slowly, or run like hell. Since you're new here, why don't you pick?"

He waited for an answer, only to recieve a what the hell are you talking about expression.

"Okay then, run."

The shorter boy grabbed the newcomer's arm, sprinting down the street and dragging him along. He could hear his own panting breath, already irritated at himself for not working out more.

Although, when would he get the time?

The most workout he got is running up the stairs before his dad could wake up from his drunk coma.

It was only as they turned a corner that he noticed no footsteps were following them.

He frowned, pausing to peer round the brick wall and seeing an empty road.

Weird....

Out of breath, the other teen leaned over himself, blue eyes wide and alert.

Levi could feel his fear.

Wait.

No he couldn't.

Could he?

He tried to focus on what he was feeling, confused, as he felt things coming from the new boy he couldn't decipher yet. Was it fear? It had to be right?

What else would it be?

Or was it his own fear?

God, this empath thing was really useless at times if he couldn't even figure out what someone was feeling.

He didn't get a chance to get a good read on the boy's emotions, for a voice broke him out of his thoughts.

"Dude, what was that?"

Levi huffed, frowning.

Why had it just run off?

Stop chasing them.