6. Chaebol Shadows

Occupied Seoul
July, 1941

Etta rolled her neck side to side, working out the kinks after another long performance at the smoky jazz club. She raked her nails through her dark curls, cracking days-old hairspray under her manicured tips.

"Another day, another dollar, ain't that right buttercup?" Freddie called over, sliding a drink to a customer with a flourish. His towel swung from his shoulder as he worked.

Etta watched the patron walk away before holding up two elegant fingers, signaling her usual show tea with two cubes of sugar.

"Well dollars would be nice to see again," she replied wryly as Freddie prepared it. Etta plucked a limp Korean won from the bar, wrinkling her nose at its nearness to worthless.

With a snort, she flicked it back down, propping her chin on one graceful hand. The other idly shoved the bill around, long nails scraping the worn wood. She watched the won spin and waver without really seeing, lost in thought.

Freddie raised a bushy eyebrow as he cleaned a glass with a fresh rag. "You already thinking about going back to America? Weren't you just swooning over Mr. Park coming to see you sing tonight?"

Etta shook her head, curls bouncing. "Oh I'm staying, don't you worry, Freddie. I'm not leaving till I get that man to place me underneath the lights and stars." A grin tugged at her painted lips.

"That's not why I'm lost in thought. Just wish I had the option, you know? In case things don't work out..." She trailed off, brow furrowing.

Freddie opened his mouth to retort but Etta held up one long, elegant finger.

"But they will. They always do." She played with her fingertips, as her gaze drifted over to the tiny club stage, she let out a small sigh.

"You're taking the stage tonight, aren't you?" Mr. Anderson's voice was gruff but carried a note of warmth as he peered at Etta over his spectacles.

She nodded, a subtle smile playing on her lips as she accepted the steaming cup of honey tea from him.

Soon after Etta's gaze drifted briefly to the foggy window, where the silhouettes of pedestrians danced by outside, unbothered by the troubles of the world.

"Think I might debut a new number tonight, stir up some excitement for the show," Etta mused. Her voice smooth and rich as the silk she wished to be layered  in. She rose gracefully from her seat, skirt rustling softly against her legs.

"Warm them up to my voice one last time before the stars take me up on a cloud," she crooned, clasping her hands to her chest. "Oh Freddie, it's going to be wonderful, the life I'm destined for." Her eyes shone with ambition. "It's hard enough being looked down on. Even harder when you know greatness awaits..."

Etta trailed off mid-sentence, her gaze growing distant as she stared past Mr.Anderson to some far away point only she could see. Then she paused, sighing slightly.

Freddie frowned, noting the sudden shift in her demeanor. The vibrant animation in her features faded, her smile slipping. She looked vulnerable all of a sudden, almost haunted.

"You alright there, songbird?" Freddie asked gruffly.
Etta blinked, his voice stirring her from her reverie.

She chuckled for a moment, then nodded. As the mind did, she got lost in hers a lot. It was a maze of its own, that pulled her in and out of reality.

"You should let yourself out of that shell more often, like you just did." he said gruffly. "You didn't lie just now. So why are you getting quiet?"

Etta blinked, his voice stirring her from her reverie.