Make the Yuletide Gay

SURPRISE BITCHES! I BET YOU WEREN'T EXPECTING A RANDOM ASS CHRISTMAS FIC! WELL GUESS WHAT?! NEITHER WAS I! THIS STRAIGHT UP CAME FROM NOWHERE AND I AM JUST AS BAFFLED AS YOU ARE!

But seriously though, thank y'all so much for your patience with my inconsistent ass uploads. I won't try and promise to work on that, cause then I'll just let you down, so I'll just say that this is not the fanfic I was talking about on my announcement board lmao. That one is gonna probably turn out angsty, and this one is just cute confession fluff. Anyways...

Slight trigger warning for brief mentions of divorce and domestic violence. Both are mentioned but not in detail and only briefly.

Also, obligatory, this is not canon to my The Show Must Go On AU, but this is canon to my Happier Endings AU, which William and Henry decide to go their own separate ways after college and then reunite years later by complete chance. Maybe I should do more content for that AU.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

🎶Have yourself a merry little Christmas-🎶

The radio softly played its festively welcoming music as William sipped his cocktail then swirled the glass around in his hand. He briefly sucked his lips in and looked down into the stem glass. Betty had told him it was called a Poinsettia Cocktail when she had handed it to him, winking at him as she told him he’d need it. He’d been hesitant to take it before and was certainly regretting it now, as the drink had cranberries in it… Not that he had any sort of vendetta against cranberries, but given it was the holidays, he’d been going to his fair share of holiday parties these past few months, and was starting to really grow tired of them. Briefly, he looked around to see if anyone was watching him, then quickly dumped his drink out before setting down the glass.

“Not too big on cranberries, huh?” Clay asked. William widened his eyes and turned his head to look at Clay. The blonde man was leaning against the wall, holding a mug of hot cocoa and wearing a Christmas sweater that fit his body just a tad bit too snug.

“Ah… Apologies, I hadn’t realized you were standing there.” William replied awkwardly. Apparently he hadn’t done a good enough job of checking to make sure no one was watching.

“No worries. I won’t snitch on you to Betty.” Clay chuckled, sipping from his cocoa. “I’d have done the same. Besides, I bet you get to drink much nicer things than that now, huh?” he added with a wink.

“Oh it’s not that I don’t appreciate a good affordable cocktail anymore,” William laughs before lowering his voice a bit. “It’s just that you get sick of the taste of cranberries after having them so much…”

“Guessing you’ve been going to lots of parties, haven’t you, Mr. Hollywood?” Clay teased, causing William to blush a little.

“It comes with the whole acting gig.” 

“Mmmh. Amazed you even bothered with us. I mean, you’ve been to lots of parties and-”

“It’s nice to be amongst old friends.” William said, interrupting him. He knew what Clay was going to say. He knew at least one person would have the balls to say it when he came back to town.

Clay nodded and took another sip of his cocoa. The two men looked out at both their families. Both Betty and Linda were drinking wine and chatting up a storm in the corner, while Charlie, Sammy, Michael, Elizabeth and Carlton all played with each other. They seemed to have a game of Life going. William smiled a little bit as Elizabeth and Sammy argued on if it was against the rules to have a set of two blue pieces married to each other, with Elizabeth insisting it was allowed. Eventually, Sammy gave up and allowed her to place a blue piece in the driver’s seat, right next to her other blue piece, which she did quite triumphantly. William chuckled.