Gingerbread

Uncertain if I'll make this canon to my AU or not, so please just read as its own thing.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"Come on, sir, don't be a downer!"

William looked up, only to have his vision promptly be blocked by a large Santa hat being plopped on his head. He sighed and lifted it up a little to look at Chris, who was looking quite pleased with himself. He let go of the hat, only to have it fall back over his eyes.

"Where did you even get this?" he asked.

Chris shrugged.

"It's too big." William said, taking it off and looking down at it.

"Well, it's the only thing I could get my hands on so..."

William tried giving it back to him, but Chris didn't take it.

"Father, just wear the hat."

William looked over at his son, Michael, who was just casually leaning against the wall and drinking something from a Christmas-themed mug. Probably hot cocoa. The younger Brit was wearing an elf hat with fake elf ears.

"Yeah! Everyone else is dressed festively and you're stickin' out like a sore thumb!"

William just rolled his eyes.

Jen sighed and walked over. "William, would you... At least do it for my brother? This would mean a lot to him." she asked. William looked at her for a moment before realizing that Jen was probably right.

"Alright, fine." William mumbled, putting the hat back on. It immediately fell back over his eyes. Michael and Chris laughed.

William heard the doors to the kitchen open.

"I made some gingerbread cookies for us to decorate!" an all too familiar cheery voice announced.

William lifted up the hat to see Henry setting a tray of gingerbread cookies on one of the party tables. The man was wearing reindeer antlers and a rather festive Christmas sweater. He was also looking much happier than usual.

"Henry, that's not nearly enough gingerbread cookies for all of us to decorate." Jen said, looking down at the tray.

"Oh, no worries, I made more!" Henry replied before running back to the kitchen.

William smiled a little. Ah Henry, ever so prepared.

He came out a few minutes later, carrying two trays this time, carefully balancing one on each hand.

"Need some help?" Michael asked.

"No, no, I got it." Henry replied, gently setting down both trays next to the first.

"You sure made a lot." William said, finally speaking. Henry looked up at him and let out a happy gasp.

"Will! You came!"

"Of course I did." William replied, walking over. He held the hat up so that it wouldn't fall back over his eyes again. "It would be quite rude not to come to a workplace Christmas party."

That hadn't been the actual reason he had come, of course. He had come for one reason, one person. Henry.

"Well, I guess you have a point." Henry said, looking up at William. "By the way, that hat is a little big on you, don't 'cha think?"

"Oh, I am very aware it's too big."

"Want me to get you a smaller one?" Henry asked, laughing.

"It would be greatly appreciated."